Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWindling suppy-still pumping for 19 mo. old

I have always had supply issues and was devastated by them- In my prime my maximum pumping output for the entire day was 8oz.- in addition to nursing on demand. Then it went to 6 oz. and recently it is dropping to 4-5oz-(that's with 3 pumping session during the day) however around 17 mo. my boy began asking to nurse- which he never did before- so I oblige him. I still feel like breaST milk is better than cows milk even if it is only 4 oz. in the sippy that day. I tried a motherlove product- no luck now I am trying goats rue next-.Do you think the decrease in supply is due to his age? He nurses throughout the night in the morning- naps, bedtime, and now whenever he asks during the day.

The amount you pump may not be the amount he gets nursing. Please don't be concerned about that since he is over a year especially.
    Are you worried that he gets enough milk (any milk?). Check out this link to Kellymom (not associated with API) - http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html and a quote from the same link
    "There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day. Cow's milk is really just a convenient source of calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. - it's not required. There are many people in many parts of the world who do not drink milk and still manage to get all the calcium, protein, fats, vitamin D, etc. that they need."

Do you work full time? Is that why you pump? How often do your nurse him during the day. Do you pump to provide milk for him when you are gone? Why do you feel he needs milk when you are gone?

Comment

I work full time and I quit pumping when DD was 12 months old. She drinks water and eats solids when I am away from her, sometimes as long as 12 hours. We still nurse a lot when I'm home (she's now 2.5 yo).

Comment

No I'm a SAHM. I pump because I just want him to have as much of my milk as possible otherwise it would be all cow's milk- He drinks water from my cup a lot as well. The routine is that I give him the breastmilk sippy in the am and whenever he finishes it- I put cow's milk in the sippy for the rest of the day. SOmetimes it can take him all day to finish those 5 oz. of breatmilk- he may only drink 4-5 oz. of cows milk anyway. I agree cows milk is not vital like everyone thinks. He nurses 3-4 X during the day and throughout the night. I just feel sincew I had a small supply I want to hang onto my supply as long as I can....

Comment

Neither of my kids drink milk or any milk substitute product, they are either allergic, or just don't like it. We try to get those nutrients from other foods and if they are thirsty they drink water.

Possibly he gets more then you think at those nursing sessions you do have. Nursing a toddler can be different becauase of increased efficency of the nursling and milk components changing for the needs of the child. (maybe a more concentrated milk)

non-API links
          Herbal remedies for increasing milk supply--- http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html

And this is from the 'Pediatrics' Journal -http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/116/3/e432?etoc
          Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant.
          So you are mainly concerned that he gets as much breast milk as possible and you feel like you have less then before?

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, Hilary.

I was never able to pump much when I was at home with my daughter - it was only when I was away and not nursing that I pumped a good supply. But she got more than adequate breastmilk by nursing, whether or not I was able to pump a lot, as evidenced by her growing and developing.

A nursing toddler doesn't need any other form of milk. I agree, for thirst - water. For other nutrients - food.

Comment

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I'm a low supply mom too. I think at the most I made 8-10 ounces a day. I pumped at work 3 times a day and in the car on the way to and from work until my son was a year old. After he was a year I started just pumping to and from work. He is 16 months old now. I only bring home 2-3 ounces from pumping in the car because my supply dropped when I dropped the 3 pumping sessions at work and when he started eating more solids. I still pump and breastfeed my son because we enjoy it and when he wakes up at night he will nurse and go back to sleep, so I want to keep my meager supply as long as possible too. I tried more milk plus, goat's rue, alfalfa and domperidone. Domperidone is the only thing that helped me somewhat. I don't know if herbs will help you this late in the game, but they might. Have you checked out the wesite called MOBI (mothers overcoming breastfeeding issues)? They have a yahoo group with lots of mamas with low supply and you might be able to get some good advice there. I joined MOBI when my son was about 2 months old and I learned so much that will hopefully help me if I have another baby. MOBI also really helped me during my grieving period. Like you I was so devastated. I will always be sad about not having the bfing relationship that I wanted (I have to feed my son with an SNS), but I don't have the strong feelings of grief that I had in the beginning. I think "talking" to other low supply mamas really helped me with this.

Good luck and check out MOBI.

Comment

dwindling supply

I noticed my supply was going down about that time too. I was also a low supplier as well. I would drink lots and lots of water..keeping gallons of water in different rooms to refill my glass as needed. I also took the herb, Fenugreek and that seemed to help my milk supply. My son is now a little over 3 yrs and I still nurse him, but only to help calm him and to put him to sleep for naps and evenings. My milk supply has diminished more and more. I also slowly started cutting back the feedings when he turned two, so that is understandable why it's deminished. I know it's hard not to worry, I did too. I never supplimented with cow's milk, but would give him organic soy formula. Now he occassionally drinks soy or rice milk, but mainly water, apple juice, or a decaf herbal tea. Do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

Comment

I bookedmarked MOBI- Thanks for that!
                  Yes, I just wanted to know if the amount of nursings have stayed about the same why my measurable supply via the pump is decreasing? SO maybe more concentrated?? I never heard of that- interesting...

Comment

Do you think your pump could be wearing out and not emptying your breasts fully? I don't know what kind of pump you have, but on the Medela the white membranes can sometimes need to be replaced to work properly.

Good luck.

Comment

I never heard of that....hmmm- the membranes are just 6 mo. old maybe-

Comment

Working...
                      X