X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're still nursing happily.

I wanted to add, though, that I am SHOCKED at how many women I talk to have been told by their ped. to stop nursing! I just spoke with a mom on Sat. who had been told to stop nursing her 4 month old because he was "only" sleeping for 3-4 hours at a stretch. She said she had planned to nurse beyond a year, but because the doctor told her to stop she did. (Her son is now 2.) I think a 3-4 hour stretch of sleep is GREAT for a 4 month old.

I guess I'm wondering why some doctors seem to discourage breastfeeding. I know there are others out there who are highly supportive, but others are clearly not. It is so sad!!! And - more importantly - what can be done to encourage more doctors to become breastfeeding supporters?

Comment

I recently had the same thing happen to me. At ds' 15 month appt the nurse practitioner (whom we see once in a while instead of doc) was asking about feeding patterns ect. I told her we were still nursing - she asked how much milk he drank? (cows milk)
      I told her we offered it to him on occasion and then he had it in his cereal or eggs and such.
      At the end of the appt she says to me that I should start giving him more milk and less nursing because "although nursing is great when they're little and has fats - the fats in milk are much better".

To say the least I was appalled!!! And just said I would think about it. Obviously I had no intentions of making any changes!! Ds loves to nurse and I love that he still nurses!!

Some dr's are still so uneducated about it and they are too lazy to read new recommendations.

Comment

Luvsunflower - Ach I can't believe it! As someone mentioned, WHO advocates nursing for the first 2 years. Even Washington State's health department sends a little thing at their 18-month milestone that says "If your child is still breastfeeding, they are getting extra nutrition and comfort."

So glad you're committed to nursing. I feel badly for the women who don't feel strong enough to ignore a doctor's advice. Doctors are authority figures, so I'm sure lots of women ignore their instincts/child's needs to do the doctor's bidding.

Kudos to everyone out there who is being an advocate for your child(ren)!

Comment

Originally posted by luvsunflower View Post
          At the end of the appt she says to me that I should start giving him more milk and less nursing because "although nursing is great when they're little and has fats - the fats in milk are much better".

How could anyone, especially a doctor possibly think that cow's milk is better for humans than human milk!

Comment

ugg! Pump some to give to him and tell him to look at the fats made for HUMANS!

Comment

Doctors aren't always experts!

I'm glad you have a more BF-friendly doctor to choose from at the practice. Keep in mind that doctors are often 25% knowledge and 75% opinion, and you don't have to follow anybody else's opinions!

Even the American Pediatric Association says *at least* 12 months and after that as long as baby and mother desire, not to mention WHO recommending 2 years. The science, the medical community and all major health organizations are on your side.

~Alicia

Comment

Alicia, Connorleesmom, and Naomi - so true.

I should maybe change the icon for this thread to a instead of because so many people are great lactivists!!!

Comment

I am going through the same thing right now! I just took my son in for his 18 month checkup, and the pedi told me the same thing. "It's time to stop breastfeeding" and "it's time he sleeps in his own crib". My son is only nursing before naptime, bedtime, and nighttime. I am also trying a baby-led approach to nursing and sleeping. You know what? You know what's best for your baby. And yes, breastfeeding until 2 years is recommended by WHO. I might be in the process of finding a different pediatrician.

Comment

Originally posted by babymomma View Post
                    I am going through the same thing right now! I just took my son in for his 18 month checkup, and the pedi told me the same thing. "It's time to stop breastfeeding" and "it's time he sleeps in his own crib". My son is only nursing before naptime, bedtime, and nighttime. I am also trying a baby-led approach to nursing and sleeping. You know what? You know what's best for your baby. And yes, breastfeeding until 2 years is recommended by WHO. I might be in the process of finding a different pediatrician.
                    I'm so glad to hear about so many committed mommies, and sad to hear of the misguided opinons of some pedis.

I had a similar situation when my DD was 10 months old, and I was pregnant w/my DS, but with an ob/gyn. The ob/gyn became alarmed, telling me that I would spontaneously miscarry, and I was wrecking the health of both me and my unborn child. I told the doc that I would sign whatever she wanted, absolving them of liability, but to never say that to me again. So, next visit she gave me the same speech. So, I went to the head of the practice to alert her that one of her staff was mis-informing patients. She thanked me for bringing it to her attention, asked me to stay with the practice, and I told her that if one of her staff was so mis-informed about one thing, they could be misinformed about others, and that I had no choice but to leave. I found another practice that asked me why I bothered to inform them that I was nursing why pregnant. I couldn't stop smiling! :>

Then I moved to another state. When the pedi discovered I was tandem nursing my 17 month old DD and newborn DS she told me that I was jeopardizing my health and the baby's. I said that both he & I gained weight after birth, so what was she basing this on? Needless to say, I left that practice, too.

GOOD FOR YOU for listening to your mama-instinct and questioning suggestions.

Comment

So glad to read you have another option/plan. I switched pediatricians, within the practice, due to the way I was treated about breastfeeding, weight gain and vaccination isses with my first child. Once I made the switch, even though it was uncomfortable at first to specifically request one doctor and not the others, it empowered me to feel in control over the care given to my family. With my first child, I felt more vulnerable to the supposed medical advice, more like opinions, given to me by the pediatrician. Once I dealt with this vulnerable feeling by switching, getting support through LLL, and family, I felt empowered. Now, I have no problems dealing with all the pediatricians about my own alternative health choices for my family. I come to the appointments with information in my purse, just in case I need to back up something they don't understand and have a couple times opened discussions with the pediatricians that I think is healthy for everyone involved. The practice now knows who I am, what I believe and they respect my decisions and I can now see any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
                        hmmm, it sounds like your pediatrician is ignorant of both the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines. the AAP recommends a MINIMUM of one year and the WHO a MINIMUM of 2 years. i'd print a copy of the guidelines for him and present them at your next visit.

continue to trust your mama instincts!
                        this is a great idea!

I'm so sorry you encountered a silly pediatrician. I have had my share as well, so I can relate!! We move around a bit due to my husband's job in the military, so finding a good pediatrician is always kind of a challenge.
                        At my DD's 18 month appt- (I was still breastfeeding on demand at the time) the Pediatrician looked at me like I was nuts and said "Ohhh you are one of THOSE parents.." and also said something about me being a "hippy".

I went to her superior and they did not take to her comments too well.

Comment

Originally posted by JenM1023 View Post
                          this is a great idea!

I'm so sorry you encountered a silly pediatrician. I have had my share as well, so I can relate!! We move around a bit due to my husband's job in the military, so finding a good pediatrician is always kind of a challenge.
                          At my DD's 18 month appt- (I was still breastfeeding on demand at the time) the Pediatrician looked at me like I was nuts and said "Ohhh you are one of THOSE parents.." and also said something about me being a "hippy".

I went to her superior and they did not take to her comments too well.
                          Wow, it's amazing what people will say even when they are a professional!

Comment

Originally posted by momma2two View Post
                            T

I don't think it is time to stop nursing her! She gets 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day PLUS breastmilk. I don't nurse her right before she eats so that she is hungry for the solids. I let her feed herself until she is done. Then she nurses before her nap, sometimes one afternoon nurse, before bed, and then at night. I'm trying to follow the Baby Led Weaning philosophy and I think it is working.

Thank you,
                            Stephanie
                            actually, you should probably nurse her before she eats solids. bm is the most perfect food you can give her...solids are not going to be nutritionally superior in any way. im not saying that she WILL gain weight if you bf before meals, but she could. Her weight may simply be a factor of her genetics and nothing to do w/ what she is/is not eating. But offering bm prior to eating solids is what is actually recommended to get the most nutrition into our babies.

Comment

Working...
                            X