Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whole foods for 6m old?

Hello, my second son is 6mo old and we are starting on some food. I have decided to avoid all jarred food and not to puree' anything this time. I sometimes even pre-chew it a little (done to pre-digest it a little so it is easier on baby's stomach.)
    Have any of you done feeding in this manner, and what were your resources, if any, that you used? Websites or books.
    Thanks

I didn't do purees either with the exception of foods that adults eat as purees (applesauce, some soups, etc.). I just started with steamed veggies and soft fruits cut into small chunks when she seemed ready for solids. I followed the guidelines for that at kellymom.

I still did the only introduce one new food every few days method, and followed the guidelines on when to introduce different types of foods.

Here's another link from kellymom about self-feeding with infants.

Comment

i did do some pureeing, but i mostly started w/soft foods that could be fork-mashed like avocado, banana, sweet potato, etc. i also held ds2 on my lap and let him gnaw on anything he could grab off my plate.

Comment

We did baby-led solids, which sounds like what you are doing. We waited until my son showed a very clear interest in solids and then we let him feed himself. I loved this link and learned a lot about doing this method of introducing solids.

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

Comment

That's the one I was looking for. It's got lots of good info.

Comment

With DD we let her do the selv-led approach to foods. She has never been given mashed foods and we never fed her. We placed an appropriate selection of food in front of her, and let her take what she wanted herself. We started by giving her soft boiled veggies. She enjoid tasting and eating some bits. We did not use any "method" to our approach, but I found some support in the "borstvoeding..."page. And the we followed the general guidelines of when to introduce certain irritant foodtypes. But all in all we simply gave her a bit of what ever we others ate. It has workeds out perfectly. She loves all types of foods, she is never afraid to try new stuff, she is healthy and happy...
            Last edited by Piol; 04-09-2008, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I avoided all jarred foods, too. We did make purees, but given what I know now probably wouldn't do so for another child. She never really ate much of them. As soon as she was able to handle non-pureed foods, we just started feeding her from our plate, and now we try to do whole foods as much as possible.

Here's an article you might find interesting. I didn't do this with my daughter because I didn't know about it! It is the Weston Price Foundation's take on infant feeding, based on what they saw in primitive cultures: http://www.westonaprice.org/children/feeding.html.

adrienne

Comment

Thanks

That is just the kind of thing I was looking for! Part of the reason is to show hubby... he trusts my ideas generally but when others challenge him he has a hard time explaining why other then "thats what Naomi said" so I like to give him more go on.
                Thanks again!

Comment

This is so interesting to me. I have ALWAYS given jared foods. I thought by choosing organic... we were "good." But as hubby and I have since decided that our own diet is lacking - I am starting to look at the girls diets also. I looked at the link above...and was suprised to see the mention of the egg yolk starting at 4mo. I had always thought that eggs were a high allergy risk and should be avoided until 12mo+. This has definately peeked my interest !! I will be doing more research!!!

Comment

Heather, nothing wrong with jar food if that's what worked well for you and your kids There are many ways of introducing solids and baby-led is one of them, but jar foods is cool too

Regarding allergies, well, I think that there are a variety of ways that parent handle that too. We are certainly much more casual on that issue, since we don't have any family history and we are multi-cultural and come from backgrounds where kids are fed all sorts of foods and without the usual (at least in USA) way of introducing just one at a time. It's worked for us, but it may not for other families, so one decides what they believe is the best way to feed their kids.

Comment

Originally posted by mamaiwant2B View Post
                      I looked at the link above...and was suprised to see the mention of the egg yolk starting at 4mo. I had always thought that eggs were a high allergy risk and should be avoided until 12mo+.
                      Me, too. I avoided eggs until she was over 1 year old, and then gave yolks first only, as suggested in How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor.

The WAP foundation does make it a point to say egg yolks only, no whites til after 1 year.

Comment

My surprise is the suggestion of starting solids at such a young age (4 mos) more than the egg yolk part.

Comment

Yeah, I've always found the timeline recommendations a bit unusual myself. Until recently, the AAP said 4-6 months. It makes much more sense to only do what the child is ready for.

WAP has another article http://www.westonaprice.org/children/nourish-baby.html that elaborates a bit on the infant feeding and illustrates a respect for the individual infant.

Egg yolks, rich in choline, cholesterol and other brain-nourishing substances, can be added to your baby's diet as early as four months, as long as baby takes it easily. (If baby reacts poorly to egg yolk at that age, discontinue and try again one month later.)

If baby is very mature and seems hungry, he may be given mashed banana during this period.

How do you know when it's time to add solids? Observe your baby's signs. When infants are ready for solids they start leaning forward at the sight of food and opening their mouths in a preparatory way. In addition, babies should be able to sit up and coordinate breathing with swallowing. Finally, infants will stop pushing their tongue out when a spoon or bit of food is placed in their mouth--a reflex common in infants that disappears at around four months of age.
                          Keep in mind, all babies are different and will not enjoy or tolerate the same foods or textures. Experiment by offering different foods with various textures. Remember, just because your baby doesn't like a food the first time it is introduced does not mean he will not like it the second time. Continue to offer the food, but never force.

Comment

Working...
                          X