Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 1/2mo gagging on peas

Hi all. So, my 10 1/2 mo is having difficulty with more textured foods - and peas. He can eat a few bites of the more textured foods, one or two cheerios, or one or two of the "melt in their mouth puffs" and then he gags and vomits. I honestly don't care that he's not eating these things, and I don't even try very often, but I'm wondering if there comes a time when one should suspect a physical problem. What I typically do is give him one puff, then a drink of water/formula. (we stopped bfing early - he had 4 teeth at 4 months and bit so that I bled. It got really horrible for both of us. It's sad, but he's a healthy guy.) He gets in trouble when he starts refusing the drink between bites. Any ideas?
    Thanks

My DD didn't have much interest in any textured foods until she was over a year old. She would occasionally eat mashed avocado or banana, but mostly just breastmilk.

Comment

I really know very little about this topic but some questions come to mind:

Does he have any history of any kind of mouth/throat medical interevention? ie. being intubated.

Does he like to put non-food items in his mouth and explore them?

Is he willing to try to eat the textured food or you have to coax him into it?

Comment

He has never had any type of medical intervention, puts EVERYTHING in his mouth, and LOVES the food he gags on. I have one of those mesh feeders - it's been in the back of a drawer - I wonder if that's an intermediate step for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jrflutist View Post
          He has never had any type of medical intervention, puts EVERYTHING in his mouth, and LOVES the food he gags on.
          Well, then I've got no idea! LOL (Perhaps I shouldn't be posting about this topic.)

Comment

=-0 that's ok Jessica! I'll keep asking around - he'll be one in May and if he still can't eat (we tried a new food with veggies and meat last night - he gagged after about 5 bites) we'll ask the ped. Funny how a few dropped cookie crumbs at grandma's went down just fine though. maybe they were small enough.???

Comment

Working...
            X