Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not sure about feeding

Hi guys
    I am new to API, but have been inadvertently practising attachment parenting since lovely Ben was born.
    I have been reading some of the posts on this thread and find it reassuring that some others ask this question about food, too.
    Ben is now 8 months old and is not superkeen on solids; I am worried that he is not eating enough (esp as we are vegetarian). I have tried purees, cereal, etc, but he cries and ends up not eating (which is very distressing for us both) and then having a nurse instead.
    The baby nurse told me to give him food first and then to nurse him but since he mostly doesn't eat solids, I am lost!
    Any advice on how we can make mealtimes fun and get him to eat?

My son was the same about solids...didn't really get "into" them right away. Remember that there's no real need to start solids at this age...nutritionally, he is getting everything he needs from breast milk. With our son, we kept offering solids without pushing or expecting anything. He gradually warmed up over several months, and mostly because we skipped right to soft finger foods. He enjoyed feeding himself his own bites. This is such a common issue...it is very OK to take a break from solids and wait to try again in a few weeks or months!

Comment

I totally agree with Kelly (especially on not forcing the issue and acting neutral about whether he eats or not) and just to give you some perspective, my 2 year old (27 month) still probably gets about 50% of his calories/nutrition from breastmilk. I am NOT kidding! He loves food, but he also loves to nurse and I still produce a lot of milk. Breastmilk is still the best form of nutrition for your baby now. He will eat solids when he is ready. Up until 1 year old, solids are just something for him to experiment with and get used to. His health is not dependent on him eating solids but his well-being (in so many ways beside just nutrition) has much to do with your nursing relationship with him. Is there a LLL near you? They can provide you with more information and support. Enjoy your baby and especially enjoy still not having to cook full meals for him! It is so much easier when they just nurse!

Comment

thanks, guys
        Ben has been a fruitarian for the last few days (is mandarinarian a word? he is currently ALL ABOUT MANDARINS!)
        I will ask my Child Care Nurse if there is a LLL branch here; I am not sure if they are in Australia
        I have generally been quite confused with starting solids and it's good to hear that not every baby takes to it straight away

Comment

If you can't find LLL there, then definitely check out their books "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" (I know, not the best title) and "Mothering your nursing toddler". Going through food phases is totally normal...quite likely he'll start refusing mandarin oranges next week or month. Try to keep your sense of humor through it all! In fact, the best advice I can give you on making mealtimes "fun" (your original question) is to stay relaxed at mealtimes and try not to worry if he doesn't eat as much as you think he should. If you are really worried and want him to eat, something that always worked/works with mine is to pretend the fork or spoon is a train/plane/car/truck and have it chug/fly/vrooom into his mouth. Always brings a smile (i.e. wide open mouth). However, if he really doesn't want to eat, expect that food to come back out after it has "landed" in his mouth!

Comment

thanks, dude; we're doing great this week, and I have tried to just relax; he is loving feeding himself and I am embracing the mess it brings!

Comment

Listen to baby

I began introducing foods to my little boy at 13 months, he had no interest. He didn't really begin eating solids until around 21 months....and that was very slow, around 24 months he began having more interest. Breastmilk was all he needed. Trust in you babies instincts....if mainly they want breastmilk that is natures way of saying hey that's what I need to grow and be healthy. He is now 4 years old and still breastfeeds a lot every day. I should mention when he was younger his growth was perfectly normal. If mom's diet is very appropriate and healthy so will her breastmilk. If mom's diet is not what's needed the baby may naturally have the instinct to begin eating solids earlier for health and preservation. Going through those early days I certainly worried that I was not doing things right, fortunately our peditrician actually was supportive and just said breastfeed and when he wants to eat additional foods he will...that's how it played out.

Comment

thanks for that; I think what has helped most was hearing from other moms whose kids do not "start eating purees from 4-6 months" and for me to accept that my boy is unique and well in control of appetite and prefernces!
                we're doing pretty ok on this side; he decided for himself to nurse less and to eat more
                we are doing finger foods mostly (except for yoghurt and cereal)
                people laugh when they see what he eats: naan bread, peanut butter toast, cherry tomatoes...
                he's a skinny boy, but so is his dad, and as long as he's happy and healhy, that's good by me!

Comment

Working...
                X