Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weaning...what are your experiences?

Hi. I am still nursing my 18 month old daughter, Lily, and I just wanted to hear from others out there that have "been there, done that". Lily is only eating about 3 times a day (always before she sleeps - before nap, before bed, and in the middle of the night). I nursed my oldest daughter, Hannah, until she was 16 months old. I weaned her much sooner than Lily, because I wasn't "enlightened" on AP philosophies back then (5 years ago). She weaned so easily. I am still enjoying nursing Lily, but I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be ready to end it in the near future...hopefully by the time she's 2 or 2 1/2 years old. I know a lot of people who nurse their children until they are 3, 4 or even 5, which I think is great...but, that's just not for me. Plus, there are some personal reasons why I would like to stop soon. Anyways, Lily is now at a stage where she asks for "ilk"...she demands it, actually. When I'm ready, I think I am going to have my husband put Lily to bed and handle her in the middle of the night, which could help with weaning...but, will it be gentle? She does great at night for him...no crying...but, we've never attempted the middle of the night. She is very attached to her mama! :-) Anyways, I have no idea how I would wean her from eating right before her nap, because my husband, obviously, isn't home. I am interested in hearing everyone else's weaning stories. What worked? What didn't work? I appreciate any advice you all have.

i'm interested in responses to this too

Comment

when i thought i was going to be forced to wean ds1 due to medical issues, i was able to give up the naptime nursing by driving around in the car until he fell asleep. after 3 days of this, he no longer associated nursing w/naps. he was about 23 mos. then. the other times, we just stayed VERY busy, out of the house a lot b/c he would only nurse at home. i think he was just bored and had a strong association w/me sitting on the couch and nursing, so everytime i sat, he wanted to nurse.

we were down to nursing before bed and waking in the a.m. before i determined the medical issue no longer existed, but by then, he was fine w/those 2 nursings and we let him decide when he was officially done for good after that.

Comment

By the time she's 2 or 2 1/2, she'll be much easier to wean, since she will understand a lot more (verbally). We partially weaned (went down to just bedtime and morning wake my daughter when she a little past 2 1/2 yrs old. We did it first by just not offering, then by limiting the nursing during the day to like 5 seconds each time until we eventually just went down to only bedtime and morning nursing for a few minutes. I found that going slowly was easier on both of us. I also found the links on the "how to wean" in this page very very helpful.

Comment

Thanks Dedra! i remember you sharing some of these tips before

We're in no rush, but i like learning about different strategies that we can gently try.

Comment

Originally posted by sugarplum818 View Post
            Anyways, Lily is now at a stage where she asks for "ilk"...she demands it, actually.
            My ds calls it "mil" without the k, lol. And he definitely demands it also!

Comment

Well, I weaned my older son shortly before his 4th birthday, so I don't know if my experience will be helpful...
              About six months before his birthday, I talked to him about his birthday coming up, and how he was going to be a big boy. We talked about nursing, and agreed that he would stop nursing by his birthday. I put up a calendar, and we would check off the days. This way, he had an idea that we were getting closer to the time that he would stop nursing. Throughout this time, I encouraged him to nurse in fewer circumstances, and gave him water and hugs instead. We talked about it a lot, and he felt like he had a say in the matter. He stopped nursing more than a month before his birthday. He's almost six now, and asks to nurse occasionally since his baby brother was born, but he is fine with cuddles instead.
              Hope that helps in some way.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! I do think that Lily will be easier to wean when she has more understanding. Something that I've been trying, which she doesn't mind, is I have just been offering her one breast instead of two. :-) So, she's only getting half of what she normally eats. She doesn't get upset by this at all...and, in fact, she seems pretty content. Could this eventually help towards the weaning process?

Comment

I'm also working towards weaning my 2 year old. She also asks and even begs... she asks for "some" and if I try and distracter her she'll say "PLEASE" and beg. She doesn't ask when we are out, but will put off napping (sometimes skipping entirely) if she doesn't get to breastfeed. We co-sleep and she dreamfeeds... she will try and get to me anytime I'm sitting down... even (or especially) when I'm in the bathroom and can't easily elude her.

I have no issue with extended breastfeeding, but we are trying to conceive (unsuccessfully) and the breastfeeding is a contributing factor. I'm 38 so waiting until she naturally weans isn't a great option for us.

Comment

Working...
                  X