X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leafy Greens - how to prepare them

I know that our family needs to be eating more leafy greens. I have a bag of spinach and a bunch of kale, and can honestly say that I do not know what to do with them. Does anyone have recipes to share? DS is 18 months, and loves most ethnic food, and will try almost anything, so no real limitations. I just don't know where to start. I've only really used frozen spinach for cooking in the past.

Thanks!!!

Fresh spinach is wonderful on pizza. Just spread a thick layer on top of tomatosauce, and any other toppings on top of that.

Maybe try fresh tomato, mushroms and a mix of cheddar/mozzarella/parmesan cheeses! A friend of mine came up with this specific pizza, and we call it "the best pizza in the world"...
    Last edited by Piol; 04-16-2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Not sure if an 18 month old would eat this, but for myself, I would make green smoothies. Basically, combine in a blender a chopped apple and a chopped pear, some chopped ginger, juice of a fresh lemon, and about 1/2 a cup of water or so. Blend. Add handfuls of spinach and kale and blend. (You can also add cabbage, mint, lettuce, or any other greens.)

Comment

Good idea on the green smoothies. DS has just learned to use a straw, so is really fond of smoothies b/c he can use a straw This would be the perfect time to try something really different like a green smoothie.

I sometimes make blueberry smoothies with a bit of spinach - b/c blue hides green, but I don't add much at all. A full green smoothie would be great!

I love the pizza idea too. I wonder if I could make pesto from spinach? hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by havecompassion View Post
          I wonder if I could make pesto from spinach? hmmm...
          Yes you can. Just use the spinach in place of the basil and use walnuts instead of pine nuts.

Comment

We like preparing (or dining out) a variety of ethnic foods, so last weekend I made a ton of spanikopeta (Greek spinach pie) & DS loved it & ate so much of it, he had martian poop! (Only in a group like this can we talk about food & poop in the same post! LOL)

A spinach omelette would also go over well in our house, too.

Enjoy! Looks like a lot of people have some good menu suggestions

Comment

-salads-spinach is the perfect base
              -dips-blend it into your favorite (vegan, i know) dip, and use w/-carrots, celery, peppers, crackers, etc. or dip the spinach into it-yum!
              -tabouli
              -spaghetti sauce
              -sandwiches or wraps, instead of the lettuce
              -soups
              PANCAKES!!!

Comment

so glad the ideas keep coming! thank you

Comment

I love kale in vegetable soups.
                  I also like most greens sauteed in olive oil for a few minutes with a ton of garlic. (I've eaten kale, spinach, chard, beet greens this way.) Quick, easy, and tasty.
                  Fresh spinach is so mild that you really can put it almost anywhere. I like it on sandwiches instead of lettuce. Great on omelets or pizza as suggested.

Comment

Those are some great suggestions, yum! I've never had greens on pizza, but now I want to!

We have lots of green smoothies at our house. We use: banana, homemade almond milk, spinach, ice, and other fruits and veggies as the mood strikes.

If you puree' cooked greens, you can add them to lots of recipes

Comment

how about steaming leafy greens?

this is really quick and easy: place leafy greens in a pan with about 3 tablespoons of water, a tablespoon of olive oil, and minced garlic. cover until the greens wilt and then you're ready to go!

my toddler will not eat raw greens but likes them wilted this way.

Lexi
                      mom to 3
                      natural-moms.com

Comment

Working...
                      X