Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch... he started biting...

I need help! DS is 10 months old and started biting when feeding. I refrained from screaming in pain because I definitely don't want him to be scared, so... I need advice!

Ouch! Those little teeth sure can hurt can't they?

What's worked for us is me showing that it hurts (ie "Ouch!"). And if the biting continues, then the feeding is done for a little bit. I find that with my son, who is much more of a biter than my daughter was, when he's biting ...he actually is done. There are some more tips in this page

Comment

when my DS starts to bite we stop nursing for about 5 mins or so and then I offer again.....anf repeat if needed. Hang in there

Comment

At a LLL meeting they suggested gently pushing the babys face into your breast, they have to catch their breath with their mouth then, so they unlatch and it is uncomfortable for them. That being said, I never tried it, the times I have been bitten I did the wrong thing, screamed OW and stuck my finger in his mouth to unlatch. Then he laughed.

Heather M

Comment

Wow, that hurts! A bite from baby can be very painful, but even worse, can be the tension fear and anticipation of when it might happen again.

There are many reasons for a baby's biting, but the most common one is teething. Sometimes babies bite before their first teeth come in, but usually it's after the front teeth are in and the others are working their way down those hot, sore gums. Other accidental reasons could be a cold or an ear infection (it's hard for your baby to swallow while breastfeeding if his nose is blocked), stress, offering artificial nipples, or even a way of getting mother's undivided attention.

Here are some ideas to help reduce and eliminate biting. Remember: this may take persistence on your part. Your baby may not stop biting immediately but "this too shall pass."

* When your baby is latched on correctly and nursing actively, getting milk from your breast and swallowing, it's physically impossible to bite. This is because your baby needs to stop sucking in order to bite. When latched on properly and nursing, your nipple is far back in your baby's mouth. In order to bite your baby has to adjust his tongue and allow your nipple to slide forward towards his teeth. So, as a first "hint" of when your baby is about to bite, try and watch for a moment--usually after the initial hunger has been satisfied--when your nipple slips forward in your baby's mouth. By observing your baby while nursing, you may notice that tension develops in his jaw before he actually bites down. This can signal you to detach him before he gets a chance to bite.
          * As soon as you notice this change, slip your finger into the corner of your baby's mouth, between his teeth, and let the nipple come out all the while keeping your finger in your baby's mouth to protect your nipple. Pulling your baby straight off is a very natural and almost automatic response, but it may cause soreness on your nipple.
          * Baby's position is important, and that means helping your baby stay in a close breastfeeding position, so that he doesn't or can't pull off very easily. If your baby has to strain to latch on, then he will come off and chew the nipple easily. Therefore, another response to biting that some mothers have found useful is to pull baby in closer to the breast, at least momentarily. If your baby begins to position himself away from your nipple, be alert for a possible bite.
          * When the cause of the problem is a cold, a more upright position can help your baby to breathe easier. Check with your baby's health care provider for suggestions to relieve stuffiness. Your baby may breastfeed better if you offer the breast while walking.

Maybe your baby is too young to understand exactly what you say, but your tone and attitude do convey meaning. It's worth trying to tell your baby, even repeatedly, that biting hurts and that he cannot bite you. Some alternatives mothers have used include:

* Offer a teething ring, cold frozen washcloth, frozen carrot, etc before nursing or if it happens while nursing, remove baby from breast and say, "Oh Mama is not for biting. Here is what you can bite ."
          * Allow your baby to choose when to breastfeed. If baby is distracted and pulling off frequently, either try breastfeeding in a darkened room or begin a new activity with baby.

This will pass and you will soon be the happy nursing couple again!

Comment

Great tips! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X