Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stomach trouble

I am breast feeding my 1 month old daughter and she is having a lot of gas and gas pain in her lower intestinal tract. to the point i can feel the through her back and hear them audibaly several feet away. We've tried baths, massage (although i'm not sure i'm doing it correctly), chest to chest (the warmth seems to soother her sometimes), putting her bottom higher then her head and patting her back, and gripe water (i'm trying not to use this too much. i'm unsure of how long we can use it for and plan on talking to her doctor in a day or two about this. I have two questions. after a trip to the hospital because she had not passed gas in a day and was increadible distended and in a lot of pain the Emergancy doctor told me that it's uncommon for a baby to get this much lower intestinal gas as a breast fed baby, has anyone else had this trouble?, and how did you resolve it. My second question is just to see if anyone has any other ideas on how to sooth her.

Dairy sensitivity?

My first thought is that she may be sensitive to the dairy products you are consuming. This is a quote from www.kellymom.com (http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...y.html#signs):

"A small percentage of breastfeeding mothers notice an obvious difference in their baby's behavior and/or health when they eat certain foods. Cow’s milk products are the most common problem foods and the only foods conclusively linked by research to fussiness/gassiness in babies, but some babies do react to other foods. Food sensitivities in breastfed babies are not nearly as common as many breastfeeding mothers have been led to think, however.

"If a breastfed baby is sensitive to a particular food, then he may be fussy after feedings, cry inconsolably for long periods, or sleep little and wake suddenly with obvious discomfort. There may be a family history of allergies. Other signs of a food allergy may include: rash, hives, eczema, sore bottom, dry skin; wheezing or asthma; congestion or cold-like symptoms; red, itchy eyes; ear infections; irritability, fussiness, colic; intestinal upsets, vomiting, constipation and/or diarrhea, or green stools with mucus or blood."

Does this sound like something your daughter may be experiencing?

HTH!

Comment

Are you eating any of the typical gassy foods? Broccoli and orange juice caused DD2 to have severe gas pains. I had known about the broccoli, but never suspected OJ! I hope you are able to figure out what is causing her gas pains and that it is quickly resolved. There is nothing worse than seeing/hearing your child in pain.

Comment

yeah, i would suspect food, too. i'd also suggest finding a good chiropractor. they know how to perfectly massage those little bellies to help them get the gas (and other stuff) out.

Comment

Working...
        X