Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter babywearing

Hi,
    It's coming into autumn here in Poland and there's a nip in the air. My husband and I have been looking at warm coats for the journey into winter but wonder what's best to buy in terms of baby wearing.
    We wear Zofia (8 week old) in a Kari-me wrap sling facing in, and we wonder whether it's best to buy somehing big that will cover her too (my husband and I are both petite) or to put her in warm clothes and put sling over our warm clothes. We would be very happy to hear people's clothing tips to keep parent and baby warm in the winter ~ before we spend a fortune on a XL coat that won't fit us without baby in it!
    Thanks a bundle
    Amanda, Marcin and Zofia

I love this subject! I have made some interesting attempts to solve this problem.
    Here is a great Idea from a creative lady and the best part is you can wear it front or back, and make it yourself with minimal sewing skills. Sarah's Poncho

I have also made a podegi, or Korean blanket So then we both dress normal winter and wear a good hat and I wear a scarf and maybe "sleeves" from an old sweater or coat.
    I am going to see if I can attach a photo to show you the solutions that worked for us. Let us know how you figure this out!

Comment

Your winters are likely colder than mine. I wore my son in our Ergo. I dressed him warmly, but not overly warm. I then zipped a large thermal sweatershirt over both of us. I put on a coat or cloak and stuck a hat on his head. If it was really cold, I also tied a wool shawl over both of us before putting my coat on.

Comment

Ergo used to sell a wool papoose coat that looked good for these types of situations. i live in texas and honestly have no good advice for you. if you ever travel to warmer climates, contact me, and i can give you hints on staying cool. ;-)

Comment

I had a fleece pouch type sling that I would put the baby in. Then put my loose fitting fleece coat on over that. The movement of one of my arms was a little restricted but I was pretty sure she was warm enough under two layers of fleece plus her coat and clothes.

Comment

I live in Alabama so the cold isn't too bad here. Generally what I do is dress both of us in layers and I grab on of my husband's coats (he is much bigger than my 5'4" 128 lbs frame) and put the coat over both of us. Also my son tends to stay warm really well and he loves the cold so I can't do more than about 2 or 3 layers with him or he over heats.

Comment

hello every one

Ive been thinking about this all day, I think I feel like I want to protect my daughter from feeling she was "not wanted", it was an oops after all. That is why I am worried about the "love" thing. I am really scared that she will blame me although I know in my heart I have done everything I can for him to see her and for his parents to have a relationship with her (I've succeeded with the grandparents).

Comment

We live in Chicago so winters here get really bitter, and I'm from Alaska so I always think about warmth. They make babywearing coats that you can buy that baby can either be in a front carrier or a back carrier. Personally I just bought a coat that was a size too big. That way I could just zip it up with her in her carrier, I mainly used a Moby so that as she got older she could see what was going on and still be bundled up in the coat. It was also nice to not have to bundle her in a huge heavy winter coat that I would have to take off to get in the car seat safely. I found it easiest to go that way, plus now that I'm pregnant again I really appreciate having that larger coat to zip around my growing belly. Good Luck.

Comment

Yeah autumn in poland is too cold so you should be very careful and you should take precautions before you leave for any journey. When it is too cold small babies may fuss but if it warm they wont complain about the cold so you should be very careful in there case if you are looking for winter cloths for babies let her wear knit or fleece cap sweater and blankets or a snowsuit are needed over their indoor clothes. cover the baby with soft cotton flannel blanket. if you are able to provide this she will remain warm.

Comment

Working...
                  X