Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious, How long did you baby wear?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious, How long did you baby wear?

I've been wearing my son (now 19 months old) since I got my mei tai when he was 4 months old. I absolultely love it and don't plan on stopping until he gets too big.

I've seen a sharp distaste for the stroller in almost every situation. He also just seems too content with me and trying to talk to people like I do in so many situations. The only thing that might limit us is his weight. He is now at about 32 lbs and is somwehre around 29 inches tall and I weigh somewhere around 127 and 5'4". I do love it and will probably get really emotional when we finally have to stop.

I know this might sound random but I was just curious.

ds1 was in the sling till well past 2, but ds2 wanted nothing to do w/it once he started walking. if i got the sling out, he would scream at me! it was very sad for me b/c ds1 was attached to his sling, called it his "ning ning" and would ask for it constantly. i will preserve his sling forever, but i can't do that w/ds2!

ds2 also hated co-sleeping from birth. it has been very challenging for me to parent him w/his resistance to my favorite AP tools and still try to be respectful of his personality and needs!

Comment

My son would still ask to go in the sling until just past his 4th birthday. He's a little guy and was right about 35 lbs at that age. At some point he just quit asking and my daughter (2 years younger than him) quickly followed suit. We used a variety of 'slings' (Mei Tai, Kozy, ring sling) and positions (on the hip, on the back, etc) to keep both of us comfortable.

Comment

My ODS was done by 2. We went to San Fran when he was 2 and he literally walked he whole time rather than ride in the sling or stroller. My feet were about to fall off, so that kid walked a long way! He rode in the sling a few times when he was closer to 3 and jealous that his baby brother got to ride, but he determined very quickly that this was "boring" so never lasted more than 2 minutes

My 2nd son walked at 9mos and by 12-18 mos was done with the sling . He just wanted to move and be on his own! He has been slung more closer to 3. I went to the store a few times with him on my back and done some chores with him strapped on. He seems to really need that closeness now that he's not the youngest anymore. However, more times than not no sooner have I finished tying him on and he decides he wants to go do something "fun."

My kids are little - at 5.5 and 3 they're 35 and 24lbs, so we haven't had to deal with weight so much as independence

Comment

Thanks for the replys. My DS a lot of time would rather walk but we are having a hard time with him holding hands to walk or staying with us so the sling is still the best. I get a lot of stares and comments about how hard it must be or how big he is. I normally just reply with a comment about how its one of the best ways to tame a toddler (for temper tantrums it works great) and how its also great excersice for me. I'm just glad to know that at 19 months there are other moms that have also worn thier LOs.

Comment

DD (age 3 and 34 pounds) still loves to be carried in any position, especially since her baby brother was born two months ago. Getting her in a carrier is now a really special thing we try to do whenever the baby is occupied elsewhere. DH wears her often when hiking.

Comment

We still baby wear - our son is (nearly) 4.

Comment

I wear my 13 month old daily and my 4 year old still gets worn every now and then when we're out and he gets tired. Sometimes he'll ask me to put him in a wrap just to take him upstairs right before we go up to bed. I cherish those moments!

Comment

To the original poster: Are you still wearing your LO now that it's been 10 months since you posted?

Comment

Deleted message.
                    Last edited by tkfour; 06-16-2010, 03:35 PM.

Comment

for DS it was till I got prego with his sister and couldn't anymore, he was 2.5, so my DH started wearing him and he's almost 4.5 and daddy is kind of saying, "you know you could walk yourself"

Comment

Almost 3,000 people have viewed this thread! That is amazing!

Comment

Actually what the number says has nothing to do with how many look at it, every post is counted I believe when doing thread views, unless VB changed it the system is very odd

Comment

I'm about exactly your size and still wear my 25mo DS. He's about 28lbs and 36". I've worn him AND his little brother, too -- front and back!

I don't see an end in sight. With a good carrier and a willing kiddo, you can wear as long as you want.

Comment

I'm glad I found this post, as I am considering switching my carrier, as my son is 20 pounds and wearing him in my pouch sling is getting kind of difficult. I was thinking about switching to a ring sling, as it is adjustable and would allow him to sit a little higher up ( I find the strain is bad on my shoulder as he is hanging lower on my hip as he is getting heavier.) We also have a Snugli carrier, but neither he nor I is very comfortable with this anymore due to his weight. I am interested in the wrap carriers, are they difficult to use? I am usually on my own with him when I wear him, so I need something simple to get him in and out of.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                              X