Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching carriers

my son is 1 year old & about 25lbs. Hes getting too heavy for his frontpack carrier. His legs get pinched. We have another sling that i wear him in on my hip but he squirms in it and wants out after a few minutes. He loves his front style carrier but hes outgrowing it. any suggestions for another style that still keeps him front facing?
    too im 12wks pregnant and will need a comfortable sling that i can wear later on and can transition to a 2 child sling when baby is born (my son will only be 19 mths). Help! :-)

There is some disagreement among the baby wearing community about front facing. What is your reason for liking this style? Have you been using a Bjorn style?

Late in pregnancy I did use a ring sling because it did skip over my baby belly.
    Other favorites are a mei-tei and the Ergo.
    What types of situations do use usually wear him?

Comment

my husband wears him in an eddie bauer sling someone gave us and it faces him out front. I think he likes it because he can see whats going on and he's usually in that one for walks/playing with the dogs and things like that that my hubby is doing with him.
      I only wear the side sling which is actually a hotsling and it fits on my hip at the stage he is in.
      I dont kno anything about how others feell about front facing carriers and would like to know more. I need a comfortable sling i can do housework, etc in.

Comment

My little one loved riding on my back at that age in an Ergo or mei tai carrier. They can see a lot from back there. I continued to wear her on my back throughout pregnancy. My chiropractor actually suggested that it would be nice to counteract the weight on my front, and he was right - it felt pretty nice!

Comment

At first I though my LO would only like facing out, but I was wrong. I bought a mei tai and had him facing in and he loved it since the first time I tried it. A popular brand of mei tai is a babyhawk My personal favorite is a Himmel mei tai. The lady is taking a break from making them for awhile, but you can buy them used at www.thebabywearer.com. There is a section called for sale or trade and you can get all kinds of used carriers there. You could also try a soft structured carrier which is like a mei tai, but with buckles. Two popular versions of those are the beco and the ergo. Mei tais are so much more comfortable for you and baby than the type of carrier you've been using. You could also try a ring sling or a wrap.

Comment

I second the soft backpack like the Becco or Ergo, especially for cleaning and being pregnant. I also felt like it balanced out my baby belly and the strap went under said belly and gave me some support there too.

Regarding front facing...here is a link to some of the concerns- (not-API)
            http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...7104091&ref=mf

Of course as you see by the comments it is a debateable issue. I personally think that ergonomically (especially in an older baby) that the belly needs to be against the person carrier.

Comment

these really helped! esp the posts about counteracting the weight of a baby belly. my back ached with ds and that may help this time around!

Comment

I second the comment about the babe not liking to be inward facing until trying it with a soft-structured carrier or mei tai. My DD hated facing in but loved it in the aforementioned carriers.

Comment

I agree a soft structured carrier, mei tai or woven wrap can be used to carry your little one on your back. You can tie the straps of the mei tai and tie a wrap in numerous ways so that it is comfortable around your baby belly. Congrats!

Comment

I definitely suggest a two-shouldered carrier -- a SSC like an Ergo or Beco would be similar to what you're used to, or a woven wrap (Hoppediz, Storchenwiege, Didymos) would be good too. Personally, I prefer a wrap. I was able to wear my 2yo (28lbs, 36") throughout pregnancy wrapping over or under the bump. Late in pregnancy, wrapping under the bump actually felt GOOD -- a little support under the belly!

This is a poor pic, but I'm about 6mo pregnant here:
                    http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...Picture245.jpg

Comment

Yeah Baba slings is the best which puts no stress on babies hips and spine he can face in or out as he wish and you too feel comfortable even he has 25lbs weight but the defect is you can carry only one baby at a time. I hope you like this sling.

Comment

Working...
                      X