X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please recommend parenting books

My husband is about to go to the bookstore and snatch up every single book about parenting because our 13 month old is starting to make his wishes be known. Can you reccomend some titles I can guide DH towards?

Unconditional Parenting (by Kohn). This book helped me see our relationship in a totally different way, and really allowed me to fully accept the need to respect her and work with her rather than on her.

Playful Parenting (by Cohen) is another good book that provides excellent strategies for dealing with discipline issues, but it doesn't get to the heart of the matter like Unconditional Parenting.

Comment

I have read "Positive Discipline" by Jane Nelson, but I have not read either of these two. Are there marked differences?

Comment

Originally posted by jrflutist View Post
        I have read "Positive Discipline" by Jane Nelson, but I have not read either of these two. Are there marked differences?

i've never read nelson. i can't recommend Kohn enough. i also like Connection Parenting by Pam Leo and Hold On To Your Kids by Neufeld. and, for all areas of life, including parenting, Non-Violent Communication by Rosenberg.

don't forget our founders book "Attached at the Heart". haven't read it yet, but it's bound to be outstanding.

Comment

Unless you have a really superb bookstore I doubt you will find much. I have had to order all my good books of the Internet.
          Remind your hubby that having a personality is the first step to having a great life!

I have had a lot of luck with
          Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
          by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

And try
          How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
          by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish

The Kohn books are great but can be so 'revolutionary' in thought for some parents -at first. They have to migrate into that way of thinking when their oldest is approaching 3 or more.

I wish my hubby would read parenting stuff... I read out loud to him stuff while he plays video games or watches sports!

Comment

I have to agree with the Alfie Kohn recommendation. Unconditional Parenting is by far the most important book I've read as a mom.

If you're looking for something quick, easy and straightforward. I'd recommend The Discipline Book by Dr. Sears. Or if you already own Dr. Sears' The Baby Book read the discipline sections in there.

Comment

just remember that not all books fall under the 8 Principles. you have to use your own discretion. Sears' Discipline Book contains a section on spanking and timeouts, neither of which are endorsed by API.

Comment

Originally posted by jrflutist View Post
                I have read PD as well as most of all the other ones mentioned. I recommend this book to people a lot because it is very practical and straightforward, as well as an unconditional approach. I find that many of our AP group members are very much on board with the idea of unconditional parenting, but struggle with finding practical ways to apply the philosophy to their discipline situations. I think Jane Nelson's books are very helpful for that. I think Kohn's book is mostly theoretical, which is excellent for really understanding why PD/ UP is beneficial (It's my favorite parenting book! ). And Playful Parenting has more playful tips for handling situations, compared to PD which are more practical and "problem-solving" style (but still unconditional and non-punitive).

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
                  . Sears' Discipline Book contains a section on spanking and timeouts, neither of which are endorsed by API.
                  Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Probably because I ignored all those sections! (And because it's been awhile since I read them.) But I still remember it being a useful book despite it's problems. I think it may have been a "gateway" book for me, prepping me for a less conventional approach without overwhelming me.

Comment

Working...
                  X