Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Peace Table

we've set up a peace table in our home to help our family resolve conflicts. when my 5 yo has an issue, big or little, he says "let's go to the peace table". i'm using a hybrid of the 2 below where the person talking holds the peace flower and puts his hand over his heart. we don't have a bell yet, but think we'll add that eventually.

here are two articles that describe it:
    http://www.shininglightreading.com/k...ach-peace.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ome.html?cat=4
    i'm still looking for some word cards or something to laminate on the table to help w/NVC, too. if you have any ideas, let me know. i'm thinking of just a simple phrase like "I feel ____________ because _________. Please ________________ .

I just wanted to say that I think this is a fantastic idea! I had not heard of a peace table being used in Montessori classrooms before, but I love the idea and I'm going to set one up in our home! Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

the driving force in montessori education is peace. maria montessori was a pacifist, in the peak of WWI, then II. she strongly believed that if we taught children peaceful interactions from birth, then our world would be more peaceful. sound familiar?

all of her methodologies flow from this view of the world. math, language, cultural studies, are all incorporated into it.

Comment

Oh yes, I know Montessori...I just don't think that all schools use the peace table in their classrooms. At least not the ones I've worked in. Which is too bad, because I think it sounds fantastic! It totally makes sense that stems from Montessori's philosophy!

Comment

hmmm, i assumed it was part of the curriculum. i will have to check deeper into it. i suppose it makes a difference, too, whether the school is AMI/AMS or just calls itself montessori. there is no regulation of the montessori name, so any random school can call themselves montessori w/out actually being one.

Comment

This is a great idea! I doubt I'll do it right now, as I'm not sure it would work with my almost three year old. I'll definately set this up in a year or so and the NVC cue cards are a great idea! Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

I think this is a great idea as well! Thanks for sharing

Comment

The montessori school I'm looking into uses the Peace Rose. I was thrilled with the concept when it was explained to me. I think incorperating (sp?) something like it into your household is a fabulous idea!

Comment

okay, so i consulted an M. expert and she says that the peace table is not necessarily an M. staple, but peace education is. so, some directresses choose to use the table, others see peace as a necessary integration of all activities. just a differing perspective, i suppose.

i am loving integrating M. into our AP home and vice versa! it's such a fluid message for my children.

Comment

Working...
                  X