Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How horrid is this??? "Time-out" at school...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How horrid is this??? "Time-out" at school...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/17/sec...oms/index.html

Wow. How sad. How about calling the parents when no other measures have worked?

Comment

This is awful!! I was unaware of these rooms, horrible!!
      What is worst is that Jonathan had threaten suicide and nobody took him seriously thinking he was trying to "get attention".... and these are special schools!

Comment

As the mom of two special needs kids, I have done a lot of research into things like this and it is truly horrible. Physical restraints are commonly used in some areas on preschoolers. It is just heartbreaking.

Comment

That is horrible, and inexcusable that a child should come to harm. I wonder if he was alone because he was a danger even to an adult being in the room with him? In that case they should have a totally safe, padded room, and someone should have had their eyes on him the whole time. Someone mentioned calling parents to get him. I wonder if that was feasible, or what the policy is on that. If he was in a special school that means his behavior was really difficult to begin with. He probably was totally out of control at times but it was the school's job to handle it. Otherwise the kid might get sent home all the time. This is so sad. There's got to be a better way. I wonder what it could be. I know there are alternative schools in our area where the kids education is presented in a non-traditional way such as working on an interesting project, like building a boat. I don't know much about it but I am guessing the teachers and the project are inspiring and the kids feel less threatened and more confident because they are out of the classroom setting. I imagine the same principles of empowering the child that can help during toddlerhood could be applied somehow in special schools. I am sure that a lot of educators are at a loss for what to do with out of control students and it would be great if teacher-education and inservice training were better.

Comment

Why do the parents bother using the school and why they allow it.
            If that was my choice I would just say, no thank you, this is abusive and leave. No way would I put my child or any other in a situation like that, not matter

Comment

Working...
            X