X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competition

Hi all I am new to this forum but I have a daughter that is very competitive and i have def NOT encouraged her to be this way, she always wants to win in races, likes to get somewhere first...how do I deal with this as I don't think everything is a competition by any means and it seems a bit odd watching your kids with other kids as they try to get somewhere first, the swing, the truck, the slide etc...could she have learned this from other kids?

m x

this was meant ot be added to the twins bit where the neighbour's kids were very competitive....

not a single post....can I delete and add it to the other?

Comment

I have 4 kids (my stepson is part time) and I have found that some kids are just more competitive than others. I take incident by incident. Teach respect at each step. For instance, if we are heading to the car, and ds decides to run and make it a race, I may have him open the doors for his sibs. I have found not to make a big deal out of it, but just address the issues involved (that was not very nice, that wasn't respectful). And of course, be direct, "this is NOT a race"

Comment

i made this a new thread b/c you had a new personal question. although it was related to the original thread, i thought you'd get more attention by starting a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
          i made this a new thread b/c you had a new personal question. although it was related to the original thread, i thought you'd get more attention by starting a new thread.
          Thanks Pax

Comment

I suggest you that try to make her understand everything is not competation by giving examople. I hope you have got my point.

Comment

I think its is also important to see the positives of being driven. Maybe you can help mold the desire to win over others into a "do my best" attitude. Wanting to succeed can be a wonderful trait so you don't want to squash it totally, just mold it to a kinder version.

For example my 20m old is VERY dertermined to do things. You could see that as stubborn, it is true, but it also can bode well for when he is older and is really challenged. This is how his personality is, he certainly did not aquire this from me or my husband! He dosn't give up trying things even if in my eyes it is impossible!
              I bet your daughter will questions anyone who tells her that 'you can't do it'. I think that is great!

Comment

Working...
              X