Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crayons and pen on wall

Does anyone know how to remove crayon mark and pen marks off the walls? My 3 yr old keeps coloring on the wall and I can't seem to get it off with soap and water. Oh, and what do you guys do to teach your kids to not color on the walls?

i've heard that the mr. clean magic eraser is good, but i've never used it. we taught our kids they COULD color on walls. we hung some butcher paper on the wall and let them have at it. the only rule is stay on the paper. and then we gave them washable markers and crayons in case of accidents.

Comment

hmmmm...we do have rolls of paper that we use for her easel, maybe i should put some of that on the walls!

washable crayons - where did you buy those? i don't like markers, but would be all over washable crayons. we have the regular crayolas and they don't come off the wall.

Comment

My neighbor swears by the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I haven't used it and was hoping to find something at the food co-op that wouldn't contain chemicals. No luck so far.

I've been very lucky that my two oldest haven't taken to coloring on the wall other than one time for my oldest. She was angry at me when she was probably 6 or 7 and was pouting on the stairs. I didn't think anything of it until days later when I was sitting on the stairs and noticed some itty, bitty writing on the railing that said "I hate Mom." She was so angry at me for not letting her do something, for the life of me I cannot remember what it was, that she could only write on the wall. By the time I found it, we had already talked about what had happened and she immediately erased it. I think she had forgotten it was there!

Comment

Originally posted by Giselle View Post
          washable crayons - where did you buy those?
          crayola makes them, i probably bought them at target like everything else in this house....

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
            crayola makes them, i probably bought them at target like everything else in this house....
            i will definitely look for those on my next target trip! thanks!

Comment

Mircofiber cloth

Hello-
              I am two very creative girls- they love art- The magic mr. clean do work well- but I have found the mircofiber cloth work great on geting crayon off the wall. I also found them great for removing scuff marks off my stairs.
              One of my favorite cleaning devices- the microfiber cloth- worth the money.

Deb
              Mamma to Logan 8 and Zoe 2.5
              Co-leader API Jax

Comment

Originally posted by Deblaco View Post
                One of my favorite cleaning devices- the microfiber cloth- worth the money.
                Are they special cloths? I think they would meet my needs of being chemical free

I have a friend in Jax (Fl) who is a mama of twins. Do you have any other twin mamas in your group? I've been trying to get her to attend even though the meeting place is on the other side of town from her.

Comment

Good post, my 6.5 year old has taken to writing on walls in pen. We have textured walls. Ugh. Good ideas that I will have to try!

As far as crayons, markers, colored pencils, etc - we only buy washable as well. If someone gets them an art kit without washable - we replace the crayons with washable.

Comment

I'll 2nd the vote for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It is pretty chemically but when nothing else works and you have a Picasso who cannot be bothered with drawing on paper- they are a life-saver! Only thing I fould to take red off my walls!

Comment

We use Swiffer Magic Eraser. It works...

Comment

MR Clean Eraser is great on walls,.. I think they are totally man-made but not necessarily filled with chemicals. here is a snopes on it:
                        http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

There are no fumes or anything like with a spray. they are like magic.
                        Washable crayons do wipe off better than regular crayons, but there is no guarantee on these things the "washable" is referring to washing out of clothes - not walls. But I buy the washable markers and use beeswax crayons and Magic Eraser removes both from walls (even permanent marker sometimes)

Before my house was on the market and when chuck was about 1 1/2 to about 3 1/2 years old - I let him, even encouraged him, to draw on the walls of his bedroom. I allotted one big wall - the one behind the mattress - and he and I drew all over it, pictures, scribbles, letters and numbers. Then didnt worry about it at all - his room (well our room as I sleep in there alot) we would play "find it" and talk about what we saw in the scribbles.

When we did put the house up - I used 2 or 3 magic erasers and it came right off and we repainted the room. He was okay with it. Recently he has asked to draw on the walls - and we said no, but then found a spot in the basement he could draw on, but he was on to other projects by then.

If you want to go with paper - I think that office supply stores carry humongeous post its - for big meetings where you can stick the paper right up on a conference room wall and write stuff down - they are probably 3 feet by 2 feet - very cool
                        (HO HO HO I just googled them and they are like 20 bucks each for 30 sheets!)
                        doreen

Comment

Crayola has an amazing resource for removing stuff like this from all types of areas. Some of them are natural, some are not.

http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/sta...ex.cfm?n_id=32

Comment

i've used a magic eraser (which definitely takes off crayons and ink & marker & whatever else you can think of.....i have much experience, unforunately). i found that it took the sheen off the paint, though. in certain lights, the wall looks dull where i used it. i used it on top of a kiddie table, too, and it took the poly finish right off. that thing kinda scares me now! i'm going to try the MF towel next time. or...get out the extra paint & touch it up?

Comment

When we purchased our zero VOC paint, we made sure to get extra and they had these great little plastic bottles with sponges on the end, sorta like shoe polish bottles. They had a cap to keep the sponge from drying out, but you just dab it for touch ups. They run about 10, but it is sooo worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X