Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need recommended reading! strong willed child growing more so by the moment!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need recommended reading! strong willed child growing more so by the moment!

I know this has been addressed plenty of times, but I just don't have time to go through the old posts. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source of info for dealing with my strong willed (yet super sweet and loveable) 3.5yo??? There's no specific incident I need help with, more dealing (coping) with him in general. He's also super sensitive (to all manner of things), so maybe some reading on that would be helpful as well. Feel free to send to my email - jrflutist@yahoo.com
    Thanks y'all!
    Jamie

oh - he's also smart enough to see through most of what we've tried so far. It's funny, really. I'll say things like "boys who don't clean up their paint spill don't get to paint", or "if you leave that toy on the floor, I may just throw it away with the rest of the trash" (which I then have to do when he doesn't pick it up). Then I'll hear "if you put ham on my plate, I will throw it in the trash" (which he does) and "if you take me to the doctor, I will just walk home" (which he didn't actually do). I just love this boy! I am tired, though.

Comment

Raising Your Spirited Child by Kurcinka and The Out of Sync Child are good reads. the first targets parental discipline; i'm not sure what you mean by 'sensitive' but if it's sensory integration difficulties, the second will address that.

Comment

Lots of sensitivities. The cicada in the road kept him from riding his tricycle for just over 3 months, he still runs from the room when I turn on my hairdryer, won't go into his room by himself, won't eat food with "skin" or that is unevenly cut, sometimes falls to pieces when the neighbors cat leaves our yard, and on like that.....

Comment

thanks for the clarification. i'd highly recommend you read both books then. maybe something will resonate with you. have you talked about your concerns with your pediatrician? not in a parenting advice sense, but in order to eliminate medical concerns?

Comment

Another good one is The Highly Sensitive Child, for helping parents understand sensitivity in children and knowing how to respond.

There are also some helpful books on positive discipline...some of my favorites are Kids Are Worth It by Barbara Coloroso, and the Positive Discipline books by Jane Nelsen

Comment

Originally posted by jrflutist View Post
              oh - he's also smart enough to see through most of what we've tried so far. It's funny, really. I'll say things like "boys who don't clean up their paint spill don't get to paint", or "if you leave that toy on the floor, I may just throw it away with the rest of the trash" (which I then have to do when he doesn't pick it up). Then I'll hear "if you put ham on my plate, I will throw it in the trash" (which he does) and "if you take me to the doctor, I will just walk home" (which he didn't actually do). I just love this boy! I am tired, though.

I'm sorry I'm not helpful, but this post made me laugh!

Comment

My eldest is also creative with word play..we call him the lawyer (his grandfather was one too) because of how intensely he thinks about lauguage and its meaning and practice!

I think I need to do a visual chart about what happens during the day and the time etc (a 'legal' document of sorts!) so he is clear about our expectations of him (he is 5) and less likely to debate the subtlies of a statement I made (I object!) His brother (2yrs) won't be leading the witness because I can refer to the chart that sugests we get dressed then eat breakfast before we do anything else.......regardless of the fact that his brother found an abandoned waffle under a chair and is eating it before he got dressed.

Anyway...I need to go finish making the chart. I am most nervous because then I will have to follow the chart too! I am not very consistant about times! (which I am sure is a little unsettling for my boy!)

Comment

Working...
                X