Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• book recommendation for non-verbal toddlers

I am loving these threads on book recommendations. I have read most presented- I particularly love Unconditional parenting and raising our children, raising ourselves and How to talk so kids will listen...However, what I find is missing from these books is positive discipline for the toddler who truly doesn't understand what you are saying. My son is 23mo. He understands a lot but not everything. He wouldn't grasp these long responses advocated in these books. I can't rationalize with him, he can't explain the "why' behind his behavior and so on. I have been searching for a book that addresses the little ones. Any suggestions??

Part of the Positive Discipline Series by Jane Nelsen is, "Positive Discipline: The First Three Years". Now, this book is not on API's book list. But it does contain helpful information on child development, and I thought it was great for understanding the toddler age, and specifically how to lay a foundation for positive discipline. You're absolutely right that toddlers just don't understand the logic, reasoning, explanation, and "whys" of behavior. If you're looking for a book on how to begin using positive discipline with a toddler, you could definitely try this one!

Comment

Playful Parenting is a great book for toddlers

Comment

Ooh, I thought of another one..have you read Happiest Toddler on the Block, by Harvey Karp? It's been a while, but I do remember it includes a section about how toddlers' brain development and communication skills are so primitive, and how we can communicate and empathize more effectively with them.

Comment

I recommend Positive Discipline by Judy Arnall as well as the others already mentioned above.

Comment

Do you mean Discipline Without Distress by Judy Arnall?

Comment

Working...
            X