Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biting and Hitting

My 2.5 yo son keeps biting and hitting my 4.5 yo daughter.

I'm 8 mos pregnant, and have been put on light duty for preterm labor. I know his triggers and I can tell when he's going to snap, but sometimes I need to leave the room. He'll bite/hit, she cries, then I don't know what to do. I tell him we don't hurt other people on purpose and ask him to move away from her. But then what? He just keeps doing it.

What am I going to do when I'm nursing a baby, changing a diaper, etc and he starts hurting her? I can't just let him abuse her, but I'm not sure how to protect her and teach him that its wrong.

Please help.

Biting/Hitting

The best advice I've read on this is to tend to the hurt child and ignore the child that did the hurting. Take your 4 year old in another room away from your son and ask her if she's ok. Give her big hugs. The idea is that the behavior will stop because he will have attention taken away from him. He may just be trying to get your attention and may have found that this is a sure way to get it. Once he comes in or tries to get your attention then let him know that biting or hitting isn't nice and people will not want to play with him if he can't be nice.

I hope this helps!
    Naomi

Comment

Working...
    X