X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name one thing...

..that makes you CRAZY that people say/do to you while you are with child .....you do not have to be pg now to reply..it can be things said from prior pg's.

The most irritating question to me right now is, "Are you sure you're not having twins?" I know I'm big, but for goodness sake, I'm 9 months pregnant! Another thing that bothers me is the question "Are you done yet?"... talking about having more children. Yes, I know I already have four children, but what business is it of anyone's if we have another child or not. It's one thing coming from a friend, but it's completely annoying coming from a random stranger in the store or on the street.

Comment

When I was pregnant for the first time several people asked us if it was "on purpose". (I'm talking about acquaintances not close friends.) Why would you ever ask that question of someone you don't know really well?

I found it especially strange because I was married and 30 years old. Perhaps they never thought of me as motherhood material?

Comment

my husband is Mexican, and in their culture they feed you till you explode. They also don't want you to do anything physical or your baby will be breach or whatever. Being my first pregnancy, I wanted to oblige custom. I also gained 50 lbs and delivered a 7.5 lb baby boy after 3 days of latent and 10 hrs of active labor. I was able to deliver naturally and had a good birth due to my youth and preparation, but I think I would have had a better pregnancy and would have still had ankles if I would have just smiled and nodded instead of shoveling food down my face.

The food though is so darn good.

I still have 18lbs to go to get back to pre preg weight, ds is 5 mos!

Comment

Honestly, I can't think of a single thing that annoys me. I don't mind the twins comments, but I suppose it's because I'm fairly petite and my belly overwhelms my body. I don't care if people touch my belly, in fact, I like that people love connecting with the unborn child. I laugh when my friends said, "Whoa, girl, your boobs have gotten HUGE!!!" I don't care if people remind me that I'll have my hands full in a few months or that i'll be a busy mom, because i know i will! most people say things in good nature, I believe, so I just accept it with a smile and the joy they are trying to spread.

Comment

LOL, the only thing that really bothered me, and even at the time I laughed at it because it was so absurd, was that my DH's grandpa was ALWAYS calling me, like 5 times a day, to see if I'd gone in labor yet.

"So, have you had the baby yet?"

"Uh, no. I'm positive you'll get a call when I do."

"So, have you had the baby yet?"

"No, I haven't had it in the 45 minutes since you last called."

Did he really, really think that no one was going to call him when his first great-grandchild was born? Even though ALL HIS RELATIVES live in the area? Did he really think he wouldn't know unless he called me several times a day?

For the next baby, we didn't let him know the due date, other than late February, so that he wouldn't hound me with calls. We did have to acknowledge late February, as his wife's bday and their anniversary is in mid-Feb, and we didn't want to cause any hope that the baby would be born on one of those days, which they admitted they really wanted.

But instead of heading it off at the pass, all it did was increase the time period of the calls! Instead of two weeks of solid calling, it was almost a month!

The last time he called I actually WAS in labor! In fact I had a contraction while I was on the phone, but I didn't want to let him know because then he'd be calling every 5 minutes instead of 45!

We laughed about it at the time though.

Comment

I hate being bored with the same old questions. and assertions that they know what sex it is because of the way I am 'carrying'. As always, if I know the people well its OK because I can tell they are truly interested, but the others just are doing irritating small talk.

I hate that when you are pregnant some people think that is all you are capable of talking about... and even if you WANT to talk about it at lease make it of more substance then the basics!

Comment

I think what bothers me the most is horror birth stories! I had that happen with DS1 so annoying. Everyone is different and no birth is the exact same so why tell a pregnant woman a horror story about your birth when not asked. It's not like we can go back in time and not be pregnant anymore. And this time we are planning a home birth and some of our family is totally against it. Like I am going to put my child or myself in harms way! I finally started saying that so people will leave me alone. I had a semi natural hospital birth and am a very low risk pregnancy. And am confidant in my midwifes and my ability to birth a baby.

Comment

I guess I was annoyed of the question "Is that a boy?" by those people who knows you while they already know the gender of the baby since the result of ultrasound came...

Comment

Originally posted by naomifrederickmd View Post
                    I hate being bored with the same old questions. and assertions that they know what sex it is because of the way I am 'carrying'. As always, if I know the people well its OK because I can tell they are truly interested, but the others just are doing irritating small talk.

I hate that when you are pregnant some people think that is all you are capable of talking about... and even if you WANT to talk about it at lease make it of more substance then the basics!

I was thinking the same thing... the way they can determine if its a boy or girl by way the belly looks, and be absolutely convinced..

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but....
                      An older woman approached me in the grocery store (like 2 months ago - I have 11 days left today!) and said "What a healthy baby boy you're carrying." I said "yes, it is!" and she then told me all about how she is one of like 10 kids, and her mother and grandmother had been the master predictors and never called it wrong over like 100 babies or something. It was really very sweet and I actually enjoyed talking with her.
                      I also enjoy sharing knowing smiles with other pregnant women at large - especially if they are preggo and toting a toddler, too!

Pregnancy just brings out that nostalgia in people - I'd rather leave them feeling warm and fuzzy than getting irritated (everything is so irritating at the end - I make an effort not to spread that around too much - jsut to DH!) about what they say. Most folks mean well enough.

Comment

How very positive of you! She does sound like a nice lady!

Comment

All of the cliche questions started to drive me up the wall toward the end. "How are you feeling?" "When are you due?" "Is it a boy or a girl?" "What are you naming it?" Even though it was all well-meaning chit chat, I would have rather talked about anything else...I was still a living thinking human behind the big ol' baby belly!
                          Last edited by KristyG5; 05-07-2009, 03:50 PM.

Comment

When I was pregnant, nothing annoyed me either Rebecca.
                            I have been pregnant 12 times and only have three live children. I suppose that has something to do with the fact I was so thankful that my baby was surviving that I was thrilled to hear any an all questions.
                            I have a lot of contact with mothers who are in the same situation and they all feel the same way.

There was one thing that did annoy me after I was pregnant. People asking me if I felt it was morally right to do IVF and what defects have I noticed in my son.

Peace & Blessings,

Jo

Comment

Working...
                            X