Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

books

These books changed my life (no kidding) while I was pregnant. Sorry I don't remember most authors.
    Magical Beginnings Enchanted Lives by Deepak Chopra
    The Big Book of Birth
    Birthing From Within
    Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
    The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
    Birth Without Violence

Comment

I lucked into finding attachment parenting years before we planned on starting a family. Actually, I'm pretty sure I wasn't even married yet. I was off to save the world, and one day found myself reading parenting books, haha. I felt so weird buying them at the store, but at the same time knowing I was doing something important.

Because of where I chose to give birth, I was a few hours from home for 3 weeks before my son was born--with basically nothing to do. I reread every parenting book I owned (a couple times for some).

Comment

Originally posted by PaxMamma View Post
        i listened to my highly intervention-minded staff of docs and took the hospital courses--blah! (barfing smiley here)
        Same here - except my daughter was ultimately born by emergency C-section after my water broke but I wasn't dilating fast enough, and her heart rate was dropping with every contraction. My OB's comment upon opening me up was "she's wrapped like a yo-yo in her cord!" Could very well have lost her if I hadn't gone C-section.

Came to AP mostly on instinct and a comment my mom (an educator, parent, grandparent, foster parent - though I wouldnt say an AP parent) made about "attachment parenting" philosophy. She really never gave much detail, Im not even sure she wasnt talking about psychological attachment philosophy. But anyway, it started me on an information search that led me to API- so a happy accident at least!

DH and I are actively working with fertility docs to try for our 2nd child and I would love to have a VBAC as natural as possible. But I have also made peace with the fact that I am greatful all our modern medical technology is available, because in the wake of my DD's birth I realized that I think it is just as important to plan for when/why you are willing to let go of your birth plan in the face of the unexpected. No one - not even the highly interventionist staff had discussed that with me ahead of time. The only lingering regret/anger I have is the fact that I was ultrasounded 3 days before DD's delivery and no one ever identified the abnormal position of her cord!

Carrie - mom to Anna(3/9/04) by Csection

Comment

To be honest, if I had any questions I called my husbands ex-wife. I watched too much Baby Story and shows about birth anomalies. I read parenting magazines and in the end, it was my husbands ex-wife who gave me the most info. She didn't leave anything out...had it not been for her I would not have known the placenta did not come out with the baby. I am more in tune with my body now, and my husband is more comfortable with a homebirth....this is our fifth kid together. Just trust your body.

Comment

read everything i could find on the internet.

unfortunately i ignored anything about cesareans and was tricked into one.

second time i read all the books i could get my hands on, talked to people, people i would have thought insane the first time, read and re read and read again laura shanleys page...

and if i ever get pregnant again i still have so much to learn!

Comment

Yeah, we need it, because we need to know the necessary precautions for a pregnant woman

Comment

Working...
              X