X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• afraid of everything

My almost 14 month old has started to get really jumpy and upset at otherwise normal daytime activities.

If the door squeaks, the cat runs past unannounced, water going down the drain, Mum standing up too quickly..... you get the picture. He seriously freaks out, jumps a mile in the air and starts crying. All day I find myself reassuring him that everything is ok.

I find that I am telling him "its ok, its just Baci (the cat)". Then it dawned on me that I am belittling his feeling by telling him that he shouldn't be afraid.

How do I empathize with him while also explaining that there is nothing to worry about?

Any advise welcome.

Hi mumtoone,
    I know what you mean! Its seems to be a fine line between adknowledging, belittling or encouraging emotions. My 13m old seems OK with things right now, its my four year old that prefers I stay in the room with him!

You can always stay at strict visual observation. "there is the cat" "the wind blew the door shut" and slight inference "you want me to hold you"

You can add. "were you surprised by that noise?" or other simple non-judging question. "is the vacuum very loud?"

It seems like most kids have periods like this, some over and over, and the best thing is to be there for them and respond with sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by naomifrederickmd View Post
      Hi mumtoone,
      I know what you mean! Its seems to be a fine line between adknowledging, belittling or encouraging emotions. My 13m old seems OK with things right now, its my four year old that prefers I stay in the room with him!

You can always stay at strict visual observation. "there is the cat" "the wind blew the door shut" and slight inference "you want me to hold you"

You can add. "were you surprised by that noise?" or other simple non-judging question. "is the vacuum very loud?"

It seems like most kids have periods like this, some over and over, and the best thing is to be there for them and respond with sensitivity.

I agree with everything here! My daughter is five and is going through one of those afraid of everything phases. What we've found works the best is the simple statements like Naomi mentioned. Since she's older we can talk about her feelings. Since your loved one is younger, perhaps a simple statement and then you can allow him to experiment with the door that squeaks so that he can begin to learn the cause and effect.

Comment

Working...
      X