Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothers' talk is key to kids' social skills

A British study shows that there is a link between the way a mother talks to her children when they are younger and the social skills that the child eventually develops.

The following is an excerpt from a CNN.com story on the topic:

The study, funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, found that children whose mothers often talked to them about people's feelings, beliefs, wants and intentions developed better social understanding than children whose mothers did not.
    The entire story can be found here: Mothers' talk is key to kids' social skills, study says

For those of you with older children, do you have a similar experience to those of the families in the study? My children are 7 and 5 and have some difficulties with emotions and feelings but that is because of some developmental issues on their part. Despite this, I do notice that they can pick up on emotions better than some of their peers with similar developmental concerns. We do a lot of discussion about feelings and emotions, and always have.

I just have a 14 month old son right now, but do you have some examples of how you might discuss feelings and emotions with children?

Comment

Originally posted by melissa_h View Post
      A British study shows that there is a link between the way a mother talks to her children when they are younger and the social skills that the child eventually develops.

The following is an excerpt from a CNN.com story on the topic:

The entire story can be found here: Mothers' talk is key to kids' social skills, study says

For those of you with older children, do you have a similar experience to those of the families in the study? My children are 7 and 5 and have some difficulties with emotions and feelings but that is because of some developmental issues on their part. Despite this, I do notice that they can pick up on emotions better than some of their peers with similar developmental concerns. We do a lot of discussion about feelings and emotions, and always have.
      I completely agree with you.

Comment

Working...
      X