Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hates - hate getting change - I need help please!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hates - hate getting change - I need help please!

My 10 mnth year old daughter is a very content child, wakes still quite frequently at night, but its improved from 2 hrs if lucky to often 3 1/2-4 1/2 hrs, so feel its going in the right direction. She is bright and cheerful most of the time, unless tired etc... however, she despises getting her clothes changed or even a diaper change for 90% of the time. She cries and cries like we are torturing her. I've tried toys, singing, raspberries on the stomach, funny faces, doing it while she stands and explores, doing it with Daddy's entertainment etc etc.... it is becoming stressful and an event in the day I dread, but she can't be left soaking or with dirty diaper or cold and it has to be done. I feel like we kind of have to restrain her a little which feels even worse. Often a really, really interesting object will distract or me nursing her. This morning I was tired and felt ever so tense, almost angry about it cos' I am not hurting her and she acts like I am. I am sure she felt my frustration - I then felt awful about that. She wailed so much, gets over after wards and I console and cuddle and try and make her laugh, but I feel tense, angry and very, very upset that she feels this way. Please, any, just any help or advice will be so appreciated. Thank YOU.

so sorry about missing this post. are there any updates? is it getting better?

Comment

Hi Pax Mamma - no worrries, life is busy, truly is. Things not much better; sometimes it goes totally fine - we even get laughter from tickles and one of us doing some 'entertaining' thing etc Yet, when it is bad - it is really baaad - she is such a contented girl most of the time, but she literally screams and goes red in the face and get very, very stressed. If I am rested and prepared, and she is too, then it is better, but otherwise.... and I dread it. Any advice or just plain old fashioned support much appreciated - also, she is still waking 4-6 times a night and one years old in 2 1/2 weeks - any ideas???????????????

Comment

as for the dressing, are there other triggers going on? are you interrupting her play to get her dressed, etc? what often worked for us was having a set schedule, like wake up, eat breakfast, get dressed, play. if she's hating it that much, i would just put her in her clothes after her bath and forget pajamas.

on nightwaking, jump over to our nighttime parenting forum and see if you find any answers there. it seems to be a recurrent theme at the moment. maybe something a parent there has tried will work for you.

Comment

Thanks Pax Mamma! good thoughts...

Comment

Deleted Message.
            Last edited by tkfour; 06-16-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I also started changing my DS1 while he was standing up. I learned to be quick!

My DS1 also hated getting dressed. I ended up just putting him in a diaper at home. When it was time to go out, I'd offer to put his clothes on. If he didn't want to wear them, then I'd bring his clothes with us. Once we got to where we were going, I'd explain that in order to go into the store, he needed to wear his clothes. At that point he was usually excited about getting out and put up no resistance to being dressed.

Comment

That sounds like a really difficult situation, one that I'm lucky not to have had to deal with so far, so I'm not really sure what to say, but I wanted to give a suggestion that you could check and see if her clothes aren't comfortable for her. I know I don't like wearing clothes that don't feel soft against my skin or don't fit well. This could have nothing to do with it but it's worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                X