Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refuses allergy medicine

My 3 yr old son and I both suffer from allergies and that is primarily why he gets sick every year. His pediatrician wrote a Rx for some Flonase nasal spray. He did it for a week without any problems. Two months later his allergies flaired up and I started him on it again. He did fine for three days and then outright refused! One day he sat on a chair for 3 hours and would not give in. I won't start giving it to him again until January or so, when allergy season starts again. I'm hoping he will be okay with it then. But, in case he isn't does anyone have any suggestions. I will be returning to work and can not miss many days and he's going to have to do this on a daily basis. I finally had to be rather forceful with him, which I hate doing. I also don't want him to think he can get out of doing something he doesn't like if he holds out long enough.

Have you tried NVC? It really helped my son's and my relationship at 3.
    books------
    http://www.amazon.com/Parenting-Your-Heart-Compassion-Communication/dp/1892005085/ref=pd_sim_b_3
    http://www.amazon.com/Respectful-Par.../dp/1892005220

u-tube w inbal Kashtan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQO7h9MNCqI
    http://www.cnvc.org/en/what-nvc/arti...hearing-yes-no

And another good book that helped me with mothering this age
    http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Parents-P.../dp/0060930438

(all non-API links)

Comment

When my son had to have antibotics it was really a struggle to get the medicine in him (using an oral syringe). What really helped was gving him his own syringe to play with. He mixed up concoctions (eg. juice and water) and gleefully made his dad take the "medicine". Dad complained and whined and put on a big show of hating the medicine and DS LOVED it. After we started doing this he started to take the medicine willingly.

I'm not sure how it would work with the flonase. Maybe he could play with an empty bottle?

Good luck!

Comment

Jessica, that is a great 'Playful Parenting' technique.

http://www.playfulparenting.com/

Comment

Thank you for your replies. The day I tried to give him his allergy medicine I did communicate in a very loving, non-threatening manner. My son told me he didn't know why he didn't want the medicine. I even let him try and give it to me and after he was having difficulty with the bottle, I used the nasal spray on myself. I then asked him if he just didn't want it right now? He said yes. So, I asked him if he's let me know when he was ready for it and again he said yes. So I waited and every time I'd ask him if he was ready, he'd say no and this went on for 3 hours. I continued have the converations with him to understand why he was saying no.

I'm a single mother and once I return to work I won't have time for this. Our mornings and evening are quite full. I have off for the summer and I'm able to have the heart-to-heart converstations with him and get to the deeper meaning of why he's saying no. When work resumes I don't always have extra time., at least no during the week. Often I will tell him, "mommy's in a hurry and I need for you to...
          My concern is when I return to work and he refuses the medicine he needs every day..do I just let him keep refusing until he says yes?

Comment

We too have those times when our son refuses to get his fingernails cut, his hair cut, hair washed, take medicine, get dressed, take a bath etc. We would always try to 'sweeten the deal' with a little show (for time consuming nebulizer treatments) or a few choc chips during a dreaded haircut if WE (my husband and I) needed it done now. Forcing your child to get unpleasant things done to them does happen and you have to ask yourself if this thing is really worth forcing at this instant. Does it really improve his health now or is it a slight improvement that could wait until he was a willing person? Is there any other way he could take this medicine?

I know it would be easy to have your kid think "oh, yes I will do this now because I know how important this is for my health (appearance etc) no matter how uncomfortable it is" but chances are they won't be thinking that. Compliance is convenient especially in a time crunch, I totally understand that! What are some creative solutions to his unwillingness? Have you asked him what he doesn’t like about it, or what could make it more pleasant? Do you feel that any acquiescing will be ‘giving in’ and teach him he can ‘get away with things’ or other negative behavior pattern? Do he have this reaction to other things or is this just this nasal medication?

Comment

I am probably just worrying about nothing and jumping the gun. I've never had my son react this way before and it was quite shocking. I spoke to his Dr. again today and she said not to worry about giving him the nasal spray until he starts to show symptoms. This past year he didn't start to sniffle until after December, so hopefully we'll be that lucky again this year. That's another five months away and a lot can happen between now and then. This is a perfect example of me worrying about the "what if's". Overall, I practice AP as best I can and I really am blessed with a great son.

I've enjoyed reading the replies and getting some wonderful advise and websites. Many thanks.

Suzanne

Comment

Thanks Suzanne,
                You are a very attentive and thoughful mother!

Comment

LOL Jessica that is funny.

You can always get a bottle of plain saline for Daddy or yourself to use if you do that method. I think I will borrow that one.

We have had similar issues with Ronnie and we also let him know he could have a bit of chocolate after the medicine. It helps wash the taste away.

We are also on hiatus with medications, but we do have our EPI pen standing by, just in case.

Peace & Blessings,

Jo

Comment

Originally posted by EcoMaMa View Post

We have had similar issues with Ronnie and we also let him know he could have a bit of chocolate after the medicine. It helps wash the taste away.
                    Yes, a chocolate "chaser" has been used in our house a few times that way too.

Comment

Working...
                    X