X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helping my overexcited 5yr old

My son's trigger is excitment and anticipation. We do our best to not tell him about stuff too far in advance or tell him if a fun trip is not for sure yet...he just can't handle it! He is turning 5 in a week and is out of control with excitement. There seems to be little we can do to focus that energy - he is suddenly in a happy trance that seems oblivious to established house rules, feelings of others and general safety, and he is usually a pretty responsive guy!...ideas are welcome!

Better late than never??

I've been peeking on a few of the forums to find questions with no responses yet and I happened across yours! I hadn't seen it before. Based upon the date, I'm guessing that your little guy's birthday week has come and gone. Hopefully the excitement wasn't too much to bear and he is now just going about business as a five-year-old.

Although my little ones haven't yet reached this milestone yet (knowing something will be happening weeks before it comes), I did teach 1st grade and kindergarten for several years, so I can help a little with that age group. Mostly what we tried to do with exciting and highly anticipated events (field trips come to mind) is:
    -have a calendar to count down to the big day. When they could SEE the event displayed on a calendar, it became more manageable to process. It wasn't a big nebulous exciting thing, it was a clearly defined time.
    -giving the children some responsibility related to preparing for the event
    -having a predictable, set time to discuss the event and then expecting kids to be on-task when attention is needed elsewhere (this was easier as a teacher than a mom, I think, since we had circle time in the morning for things like that. But breakfast time, for example, could easily become "circle time")
    -creating some form of writing or artistic expression about the event (we created both class and individual books with their writing and drawing. Pre-writers could dictate their thoughts or story to an adult, who would write their words verbatim.) Again, this gave a concrete-ness to the event and allowed them to visit and re-visit their thoughts about the event. We'd do this again after the event to summarize what happened and what we wanted to remember.

Anyway - not sure if this will be helpful especially since the time has already passed. But maybe it will be helpful in the future. ;-)

Comment

Working...
    X