X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 year old and clothes...

My two year old doesn't want to wear clothes. At all - no socks, shirt, pants - nothing. If it were summer, I wouldn't care. But it is winter and it is cold! We keep the house pretty warm (74 deg. F) but her little hands, feet, legs and arms get ice cold.

I've tried the "choice" method - as in "Do you want to wear this shirt or this one?" etc. but she doesn't want to wear anything at all. I don't think it is a tag/texture issue because she doesn't have tags in her clothes and most of her clothes are extra-snuggly soft.

Any ideas (besides turn up the heat - since it is warm already, I will have trouble convincing my husband to get it in the 80s) ???

This made me laugh!

My son has gone through many naked stages, including some public streaking (), but he always knows when he's too cold. Maybe although your dd's limbs feel cold she isn't feeling cold IYSWIM?

As far as going outside naked or inappropriately clothed...... the other day my ds decided he wanted to go out dressed as follows: vest (singlet?) and underpants, a sandal on one foot and a wellington boot on the other. It is cold here too btw! He was adamant this was how he wanted to go out even though I told him it was cold out.

So I just went with it. He got as far as getting in the car seat and waiting until I drove off before saying "Mummy you forgot to put my trousers on!"

(Tip: if you get to this stage don't forget to take a bag full of more suitable clothes with you for when they realise its too cold lotherwise you'll have to drive all the way back home again!)

Comment

My 2 yr old loves being nude too. He calls it nackieneckiedoo. It is really the method we used to get his clothes changed now. Then we let him play naked for a bit then make it a game to catch him and put one peice at a time on. Sometimes he is motivated to put on clothes because he wants to go outside. We say "clothes first". He seems to understand that idea now and will let me dress him. Food also motivates him like if I give him some thing to hold and eat I can put his stuff on.
      Good luck with that.

Comment

Thanks you guys! I'm glad it isn't just my LO!

She loves going outside, so she is always compliant if we are going somewhere. She will sometimes get dressed first thing in the morning, but if we're just playing at home she just sheds her clothes one at a time (usually the socks go first - lol).

Comment

I live in the Northern Plains of the USA, so it gets cold here, too, and my house is not that efficient when it comes to heating. But both my two and three year old love to be naked. I trust them to know when they're cold and to put their clothes on or to get a blanket. I do insist that they wear clothes when they go down for a nap or bedtime, as they can kick blankets off and get cold then, but like Naomi said, we do this consistently and they just know that's how it goes.

Many parenting gurus will say that nakedness is a normal child development stage.

Comment

Thank you, Rita!

I've been leaving blankets out and she will occasionally wrap herself up. Today she had a new pair of pants (bday gift from grandma) and she wore those all day.

I'll just have to trust her body to tell her what she needs!

Comment

I was just thinking today how much I miss Ronnie being nekid. He just turned four and has decided he wants clothes on all of the time. Even pajamas.

Each of my children went through the no clothing phase and they all changed their mind when they started to get cold. Just keep blankets / robes handy for now, it does pass quickly and one day you will miss that tiny little tush running through the house.

Sniff... why oh why do they have to grow up.

Peace & Blessings,

Jo

Comment

Sweet. I'm sure I'll be looking back at these days and missing them, too. I really don't mind her running around in her diapee - it is truly cute to see her little self - that big ol' toddler tummy and skinny little arms and legs. She just feels so cold - her hands get that ice cold that actually hurts when she touches my skin. But - I've got a few blankets out and she does grab them to wrap around herself from time to time. She really doesn't fight getting dressed to go somewhere, so that is a blessing.

Thanks for the reminder to enjoy these times, Jo!

Stephanie

Comment

You would think that 3 bio kids and over a dozen foster kids later I would get through the cold arms and legs thing, but I don't. I panic each time.
                  I go out searching for reminders too that this is all par for the course and that they are wonderful moments. Also excellent opportunities for building up the immune system.

Tonight I am having my first nappy-less night with my little guy. It is a great big step and yet sad. I know the moment that he realizes that he is secure at night, he will be "secure" at night. He will start asking for his own sleeping space and more.

It goes by way too quick... My baby girl is 23 this week and I gave her my GPS for her birthday. How freaky odd that sounds to say. She said that more than anything she wanted to curl up in my arms and just be held and make the pain of the world go away. I said she could and that no one is ever too big to do that.

When you wake up in the morning, remind yourself it is all about perspective. You may think that children are holding onto being a child too long, but really they are not. I babied the "crap" excuse my language, out of my children from a mainstream perspective, but by 18 they were out on their own.

Peace,

Jo

Comment

Tonight I am having my first nappy-less night with my little guy. It is a great big step and yet sad. I know the moment that he realizes that he is secure at night, he will be "secure" at night. He will start asking for his own sleeping space and more.
                    Awww. Those bittersweet times. There are more and more of those to come, aren't there?!

It goes by way too quick... My baby girl is 23 this week and I gave her my GPS for her birthday. How freaky odd that sounds to say. She said that more than anything she wanted to curl up in my arms and just be held and make the pain of the world go away. I said she could and that no one is ever too big to do that.
                    I think mamas are perfect for that. What a nice thing to tell her.

You may think that children are holding onto being a child too long, but really they are not.
                    So far I haven't felt that way, but I can understand how easy it is to feel like that. The grown-up years seem so far away, yet their childhoods are so fleeting and fast.

Comment

All of this made me chuckle! I think all kids love to be naked. If I didn't have such a tummy, maybe I'd like it, too....... lol..........

I've had the public streaking, esp from my son. I always carry extra clothes (typically with some sort of emblem that they like, such as a cartoon character or animal) for them to wear if they get cold, or hot. We live in Florida, so I've had a reverse situation where my kids want to wear snow suits or fully padded Halloween costumes outside, when it's 80 degrees. my 2 year old wore a sundress and doggie sweater for 3 days straight. I considered myself lucky that she allowed her diaper to be changed....lol......

My 'rule' is that they can be nakey all they want inside, but that no one is allowed to see their privates. I tell them that their privates are THEIRS and that no one can see them (so, not that being naked is bad--because it's not!!--but that other people don't have permission to see them). does that make sense?

ap mommy

Comment

Thanks, apmommy! Yes - that makes sense. Today she actually wore all of her clothes all day, except for the socks (which came off at the end of the day). We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Comment

I've been having this struggle with my 15 1/2 mnth old for a while; she hates getting diaper changed and wearing clothes.... she hates, hates it. I dread it & I don't think I'm handling it well. She loves baths, so after the very long bath, that i finally persuade her to get out of with entertainmant from Daddy, Grandad or Grandma usually..... I let her run around naked because she loves it and I think its healthy to feel free etc.... we live in Brazil usually where it is Summer now and she can do this for extended period until we have to get on the bus etc. However, we are in the UK for 6 wks and its chilly, although my parent's home is warm. When it does come to dressing, after a prolonged thing, I try making it a game or get her involved etc... the food thing does help and grandparents too and looking through a book she likes while doing it etc. Other times, I have just have to do it - anticipating a nap, time to go out etc. She squirms and cries and gets really frustrated and I just put the clothes on while trying to say validating things that I understand. Sometimes, I am so frustrated inside and I know she must feel it esp when I don't want to miss the bus to do something fun together and be out of the house - tips would be appreciated! I just hate putting clothes on her when she is protesting and so angry about it, but I also hate feeling so frustrated with it too. thanks everyone.

Comment

My dd was starting to do the naked thing. I live in canada and it's the middle of winter right now. Talk about a cold time of the year to start trying this! My mom came up with a really good idea. I turned my dd facination with getting undressed to her dolls. I helped her learn how to undress, redress and undress and redress in a different outfit...i'm not sure how long this will last. But for now she's no longer running around naked and purple! Some of the dolls we bought have diapers that came with them. now she gives them a diaper change on her belly while i'm giving her a diaper change. Hope these ideas help!

Comment

Working...
                            X