X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nature Therapy

What do you do to help your children find distraction from hard days at school?

Carrie Kerr has always been of the opinion that days which are 70 degrees and sunny should be declared “National Hooky Days.” After all, what could be more important than getting outside on such a perfect day? As 3 p.m. approached on one of these flawless days, she put aside her projects and began preparing for the children to come home. Usually their arrival is a flurry of motion, commentary, questions, and requests. As their mother, it is Carrie's job to gather them in, listen to them, support them, and direct them toward what needs to be done in the final stage of the day. On this particular day, however, she had an additional task: Her job was to wipe tears. Two of her children came home with what resulted in, simply…a tough day. Carrie had to think fast of what they would do to take an emotionally trying day and make it better.

"Adults and children alike, this is a common scenario. We have responsibilities and schedules that often push us over the edge. As a culture, we are having trouble dealing with stress. We see trends of overeating, overspending, and overindulging in drugs or alcohol as a response to a difficult day or phase in life. Do I want to teach my children that when they’ve had a hard day they should go ahead and indulge in an unhealthy pick-me-up? Am I concerned about reinforcing habits that will lead to a sedentary lifestyle? Will these habits, in turn, set them up for a higher risk of poor health and depression and, thereby, actually set them up for failure? How is it that we are stuck with this as our mindset, and how do we change it? One solution could be surprisingly simple."
    Read more at: http://theattachedfamily.com/membersonly/?p=2398. API members: Use the login provided to you in the Summer 2009 issue of The Attached Family magazine or contact memberships@attachmentparenting.org.
Working...
X