X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed - toddler schedule and newborn

Hi ladies, hoping to gain some insights and advice as to a day-to-day schedule with my toddler. I just want to know what you are doing with your kids and whether what I am doing is 'correct'. I find that I feel very guilty when I do house work or for instance catch up on emails which I try to limit anyway, but I want to know that what I am doing on a day to day basis is the best for my 11-month old.

How do you handle actually doing house work or something like cooking, getting ready or doing makeup - is it fine to leave my LO to roam around the room and explore or play on her own? I always make sure I am aware of where she is and talk to her throughout, and when she needs me or wants me, I pick her up, play with her or tend to whatever need it is she needs filling, and I make sure I set aside dedicated playtime with her for the rest of the day - but what about those in-between life-moments? I mean surely one is not supposed to be actively playing with them every hour of the day?

Please can you let me know what you do in the day and how you handle playtime and housework as well as letting children play on their own, which I know they also need to be able to do. How do you balance this?

My other question: I am currently pregnant and baby will be born when LO is 20 months. How to handle a toddler and a newborn?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Helana
    Last edited by LeoMommy; 07-10-2010, 08:28 AM.

Originally posted by LeoMommy View Post
    is it fine to leave my LO to roam around the room and explore or play on her own?
    Absolutely!

surely one is not supposed to be actively playing with them every hour of the day?
    I think I would go crazy.

Please can you let me know what you do in the day and how you handle playtime and housework as well as letting children play on their own, which I know they also need to be able to do. How do you balance this?
    I rarely play with my kids. That's not to say I don't interact with them; I just don't play. Like you, I have work to do! If my kids want to be with be, they are welcome to join in the work I am doing, or they can play on their own nearby. When they were too little to join in any type of age-apropriate work, I would wear them while I worked. When they were your daughter's age, they would definitely get down and explore on their own while I worked nearby. The environment was always safe, plus I was right there. As they got older they started helping in any way that they could...washing, sorting, handing me things, mixing, putting away, folding, stacking, cutting, pouring, digging...anything they wanted to help with. Children LOVE doing real work! There is just as much brain development and learning going on preparing vegetables for dinner as there is playing baby games, so keep that in mind and see if you can find a way to include her in your tasks, even at this age now!

Comment

Thanks so much for this reply, this has really helped me a lot and helped me not to feel guilty. I really helps to get some insight from other mothers - why is it that we doubt ourselves so much? Again, thanks for the comment!

Comment

I remember feeling the exact same way, I had spent all of my daughters babyhood with her somehow attached to me, singing to her, wearing her, we were always interacting and then when she was 10mo. she started walking and didn't want to be in the carrier and I found myself not spending as much time because I was trying to get the housework done, or just do something for me. It took a while but I got over it and realized how much she was really enjoying her own time. She loves to go off on her own and around a year she started walking me over to the couch and telling me to sit and then she would run over to her toy box to play by herself, and she would get so mad if I tried to join in. Now she's 20mo. and very verbal so if she needs more from me then I am offering she is sure to tell me. So don't worry don't stress yourself out, you are normal, and no one can give their children 100% attention all day long we need to take care of ourselves and our children understand and enjoy their time too. Plus it is so fun to glance over and see how they are playing on their own, what they do when you aren't there.

Comment

Thanks Patricia for the reply, it really is comforting to hear that other moms experience the same issues. Good to hear from you, appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
          X