|Attachment Parenting Month Is Here!
Let the Celebrations Begin
Break out the confetti and balloons-- Attachment Parenting Month has finally arrived! Celebrate with us all October around our theme of "Giving Our Children Presence."
Attachment Parenting International (API), the Sears family, Mothering Magazine and other well-known and influential Attachment Parenting advocates are sponsoring and endorsing AP Month. The occasion is perfect for parents of every stripe to merge, participate and show support for healthy parenting.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has proclaimed October to be AP Month in the city of New York in support of our theme of "Giving Our Children Presence" and recognizes that:
- Parents have a profound positive impact on children, families and communities when they are lovingly present and supportive in the lives of children.
- Parents need reliable information and support in making informed choices.
- All available knowledge indicates that parents' spending adequate time with and sensitive attention to their children enhances the social-emotional growth, development and well-being of their children by both providing protective factors that prevent and minimizing the associated risk factors that contribute to later problem behaviors.
Attachment Parenting is vital to modern families and is one of the best and most economical health care plans we can provide for our children. The most delicious benefit of Attachment Parenting is that we're encouraged and guided to indulge our instincts to know and savor our children. The gifts of rich and profound relationships with our children are truly priceless.
During AP Month we aim to
- Collect all Attachment Parents to participate and share in a common theme.
- Offer all parents and adults support and confidence in "Giving Our Children Presence."
- Promote awareness of AP Educate about API, other AP Month sponsors, and the services they provide to parents
- Provide a source of funds to support API's mission
All AP Month activities, specials, events and offerings are designed to help all parents find ways to celebrate our theme of "Giving Our Children Presence" during October. Prizes and related giveaways include Feelez empathy building game for children, Mothering Magazine subscriptions and API gift memberships.
AP Month Central is your one stop shopping for AP Month. You'll find our sponsor information, event info and several tools to help you find, join in or host your own celebrations. Check frequently for new offerings and goodies.
Ready, set, HAPPY AP MONTH!
AP Month Central is Open!
AP Month Central
is the one-stop AP Month information source where you can check in frequently as AP Month unfolds and:
- Find out about our sponsors, special deals and online activities and events.
- Find and participate in AP Month celebrations near you.
- Use our toolkit to plan your own AP Month celebration.
- Register your events so that others can find you and join in your celebration.
- Share your stories, photos and more.
- Join API or make a donation to further our mission
The Myth of Perfect Mothering!
Ask API Live!
Join us on October 6 for "The Myth of Perfect Mothering." We'll hear about the pretense of perfect mothering: why do we fake it?, parent meltdowns: why we lose it and how to find it again, why we're not present even when we're there, deciphering and dismantling our disappointment and regret, healing the heart of depression, from emotional roller coaster to presence of mind, from full mind to mindful: harnessing chaos and transforming it into centered connection.
API Founders and authors of "Attached at the Heart" Lysa Parker and Barbara Nicholson will be joined by special guest Martha Sears and moderator Lu Hanessian author of "Let the Baby Drive" to deliver this relevant teleclass.
|API Essay/Photo Contest
If you're a writer, write it and submit it. If your pictures are worth a thousand words, send a photo instead! Enter one or both contests - they're separate and we'll even be awarding prizes in the category of expectant parents.
So write or click and submit! Everyone is encouraged to enter no matter how small or large the family (or belly)!
We've got some special prizes lined up and some are just for expectant parents so everyone is encouraged to submit entries no matter how small or large the family!
Check AP Month Central for the details of essay and photo contests in celebration of our theme "Giving Our Children Presence."
|API Membership Deals You Can't Afford To Miss
Not an API member yet? Now's the time to join! Buy, renew or gift one API Membership during October you'll receive a Gift Membership or a limited book offer for FREE!
New professional memberships are offered with valuable discounts never offered before!
Take advantage of these unprecedented offers today, get a jump start on your holidays and tell everyone you know!
is happy to respond to questions about these offers or about API member benefits.
Other AP Month Goodies
- Tune into AP Month Central for more details about the guest bloggers during October!
- Purchase a sling from Dr. Sears and a percent will be donated to API during October!
- Calendar of "Daily Presence" on AP Month Central to provide a point of reference, tips and ideas for "Giving Our Children Presence" every day of the month!
- Send us your stories and photos to post on AP Month Central.
Check back often to hear about more free giveaways!
Support API's Mission
Donate to API via eBay! Elect to donate all or a percent of your eBay proceeds to API when you create new eBay listings.
- Donate to API and feel good about supporting and educating parents and doing your part to create a more compassionate world.
- Make API your charity for this year. Sign API up as your employers matching gift fund
- Take advantage of the AP Month membership specials.
- Reserve your copy of Attached at the Heart!
- Volunteer to work with API.
- Become an API Leader!
- Tell your friends and family about us!
|AP Month Merchandise|
Purchase AP Month merchandise from Café Press
to sell at your event, give as volunteer thank-yous or as giveaways for prizes for raffles!
There's something for everyone - even onesies for babies!
is to educate and support all parents in raising secure, joyful, and empathic children in order to strengthen families and create a more compassionate world.
API Eight Principles of Parenting
Find/Register AP Month Events
Find out if there are AP Month events near you and if not, use the toolkit on the site to plan activities or events and then be sure to register your events so that others can find you and join in!
Do you live near Fresno CA?
If so, Gena Kirby
, API Board member and co-owner of Mommy Matters Maternity Boutique and Family Resource Center, invites you to join her each Saturday in October for free seminars on topics such as Safe Sleep, Positive Discipline, Breastfeeding and Babywearing. Look for her events and information on AP Month Central!
In my last newsletter I said "Heads Up! More changes are still to come..."
Please welcome Links' new editor, Julie Artz. I trust that under her leadership Links will continue to be a highlight of your month.
API Links has been a terrific gig. I loved the challenges of creating something which I hoped was special, something that people would enjoy reading as they opened their morning e-mail.
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions about this eNewsletter, please contact me.
Avril Dannenbaum, Editor
Kelley Francis, Copy Editor
Attachment Parenting International
Attachment Parenting International
P.O. Box 4615
Alpharetta, Georgia 30032
(800) 850-8320 - phone and fax