Information for Professionals
Attachment Parenting is not well understood by many professionals who work with parents, or deal with them in legal/governmental roles. These resources will prove useful to those working with these kinds of professionals, as well as to legal and social workers who come in contact with AP parents.
Attachment Parenting International also offers an API Professional Associate Membership that can help you promote and educate about Attachment Parenting in your business.
Click here to see our list of Associates and Colleagues or Organizations.
Studies and Research
- API Researchers Group responds to American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children (APSAC) Task Force Report in the February issue of the journal of Child Maltreatment
- API Position Paper on new AAP Recommendations - October 10, 2005
- API Study Summary Report (April 2004)
Attachment Parenting and the Law
Please note that any time one of the following resources refers to the mother, we intend that to refer to anyone who has sole custody or care of a child. It is not intended to be discriminatory toward fathers or other primary caregivers.
- Article: Babies' Attachment to Parents Affected by Overnights
- OVERNIGHTS: The Difference Between Night and Day
- Infants and Joint Custody excerpt from The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: a 25 Year Landmark Study
- How Older Children Cope with Joint Custody excerpt from The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: a 25 Year Landmark Study
- Children of Divorce: Divorce and Attachment by Isabelle Fox, Ph.D.
- Breastfeeding and the Law A collection of articles written by Elizabeth Baldwin and others
- A Letter to the Court "Overnights and other custody/visitation arrangments with divorced or separated parents of infants and toddlers" by Isabelle Fox, Ph.D.
- When Ties to a Parent Are Cut by the Other NY Times online article written by Dr. Amy J.L. Baker
- The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce by Judith Wallerstein
- What About the Kids? by Judith Wallerstein
- Creating Effective Parenting Plans by John Harston, PhD.
Professional Resource Highlights
- Past Issues of the Professional Resource Highlight
- Sign up to receive issues through our free API Membership and select that you are a professional serving families
For more information on Attachment Parenting, please review the API Recommended Reads.