Infant Sleep Safety, Co-Sleeping, Nighttime Parenting and more
This Principle is not complete without reading API's Eight Principles of Parenting Introduction -- important information for understanding the context API's Principles of Parenting.
One of the most common parenting questions asked is about the topic of infant sleep. Attachment Parenting International provides a variety of resources on this topic.
- Ensure Safe Sleep, Physically and Emotionally - One of API's Eight Principles of Parenting
- Attachment Parenting International's Infant Sleep Safety Campaign
- Our six-month-old baby is unable to fall asleep on his own. He needs to be nursed or held to fall asleep. My family says it's time for him to soothe himself, but I'm unsure how to go about it.
- We have a two-and-a-half-year-old who is still sleeping in our bed. People are advising us that it is time for her to move to her own bed, but we aren't sure what's best for her.
- Gentle Baby and Toddler Sleep Tips from APtly Said (blog)
- Read more about Nighttime Parenting on APtly Said
- Read about cosleeping and nap time on the API Forums
- Ask your baby sleep strategy questions on the API Forums
- Co-sleeping: Yes, No, Sometimes? (external site)
The Attached Family
API's The Attached Family online magazine, updated weekly with articles on a variety of topics, is an extension of the quarterly The Attached Family print magazine. The following articles on Baby Sleep Strategies are accessible at no cost on The Attached Family online magazine. Please consider joining API to help support API's ability to continue providing this information.
- Mother-Baby Sleep Experts Offer Tips for Soothing Crying Babies, Giving Exhausted Mothers Alternatives to Crying It Out
- How Does Your Baby Sleep?
- Cosleeping Reality: Your Toddler's Bedtime May Be Yours, Too
- Dr. Isabelle Fox on Overnight Visitations: As Harmful as We Suspect?
- Breastfeeding and Cosleeping in a Critical Culture
- AP in a Non-AP World
In addition to the many resources available here on the Attachment Parenting International website, we are including valuable information on Principle-specific topics located on other websites. Please note that API has no control over the content available on these external sites.
- 8 Infant Sleep Facts Every Parent Should Know - Ask Dr. Sears
- Cosleeping and Biological Imperatives: Why Human Babies Do Not and Should Not Sleep Alone - James J. McKenna Ph.D.
- Why babies should never sleep alone: A review of the co-sleeping controversy in relation to SIDS, bedsharing and breast feeding (PDF) - James J. McKenna and Thomas McDade
- Nighttime fears in children: A guide for the science-minded parent - Parenting Science
- More Than Monsters: Could Your Child Have Night Blindness? - iParenting
- Children 'should sleep with parents until they're five' - Times Online
- Cry It Out: The Potential Dangers of Leaving Your Baby to Cry - Education Articles