Image courtesy of
The Memory Box Photography
Marriage and Attachment Parenting Resources
This Principle is not complete without reading API's principle on Striving For Balance in Personal and Family Life.
Attachment Parenting International recognizes the importance of nurturing and caring for your marriage during the parenting years. Research shows couples that have a family centered view of family life are more emotionally invested in one another and less prone to divorce. Attachment Parenting offers many opportunities to put the family first and create healthy respectful relationships not just between parent and child, but between spouses as well. Research also suggests that when adolescents experience parenting behaviors characterized by API's 8 Principles of Parenting; they have more positive romantic relationships with their partners in adulthood. Attachment Parenting provides opportunities to not just strengthen your marriage, but to have a positive effect on your children's marriage.
Parenting can be a strenuous period in any marriage, a new baby brings with it many new challenges including; loss of sleep, less disposable income, new housework requirements, childrearing responsibilities, and less one-on-one time. API recognizes that all couples need resources to help them keep their marriage strong during the child rearing years--that respect their parenting philosophy. API encourages couples to research their parenting choices together, and learn about child development and attachment, as well as attend support group meetings together.
Click here for FAQ's on Marriage and AP
API Provides the following resources to help strengthen your Attachment Parenting Marriage:
The Attached Family
API's The Attached Family online magazine, updated weekly with articles on a variety of topics, is an extension of API's free quarterly Attached Family digital magazine. The following articles on Marriage and Attachment Parenting are accessible at The Attached Family online.
- Modeling Attachment Between Parents
- Balancing Attachment Parenting and Intimate Relationships
- The Marriage Challenge
- Marriage, Partners, and Parenting: An API Forum Series
- Strive for Balance in Personal and Family Life
API Live Teleseminar
- "Giving The Love that Heals," an interview with attachment therapist Harville Hendrix, includes free audio download
- Co-parenting: Sharing our struggles
- Reflections on our first year
- Doesn't Attachment Parenting get in the way of your sex life?
In addition to the many resources available here on the Attachment Parenting International website, we are including valuable information on Principle-specific topics located on other websites. Please note that API has no control over the content available on these external sites.
- Imago Relationships
- Gottman Relationship Institute
- University of Virginia's National Marriage Project
- International Centre For Excellence In Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Getting The Love You Want - Harville Hendrix & Helen Hunt
- And Baby Makes Three - John Gottman
- The Five Love Languages - Gary Chapman
- Attached at The Heart - Barbara Nicholson & Lysa Parker
- Hold Me Tight - Sue Johnson, PhD