API's application and approval is a prerequisite to becoming trained as a CAHPE. There are two tracks available, as described below. Please contact Tina McRorie at email@example.com with any questions about the program, trainings, or application process.
Thank you for your interest in taking the training and helping us spread the message of secure parent-child attachment!
Track One (Fast Track)
Applies to applicants with extensive group facilitation experience (i.e. formally accredited API Leader (pre-2018), La Leche League Leader) or related-degree professional experience in the child/family field to be determined during the application process.
- Complete application and pay $30 nonrefundable application fee. Your application will be reviewed, and an acceptance letter will be sent with the registration link, cost, and training details.
- Begin assigned readings, Nonviolent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg, Hold on to Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Maté and complete reading the text for the course, Attached at the Heart; and
- Complete reading on selected API guidelines and policies.
Applies to applicants without group facilitation experience or previous professional training or accreditation in child/family services field.
Track Two applicants will be accepted based on application review and two recommendations by work colleagues or teachers, then completing the following steps after the training.
Applicant will receive a Certificate of Attendance after the training. Upon completion of the requirements below and participation in a mentorship program, the applicant will receive final certification and be able to teach classes independently.
- Contact the API Training Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your interest in the Track Two CAHPE application process and request the recommendation form. The form should be sent to two people and returned by the recommending people at least two weeks prior to the training.
- Begin the process of completing readings on attachment parenting information, theory, and practice, and API guidelines and policies. You have access to the free, required AP Leader preparation materials. (You are not expected to become a local group leader.)
- Agree with or have applied API's Eight Principles of Parenting in your own family or in your work with children;
- Upon receipt of the two recommendation forms, you will be notified to pay the $30 nonrefundable application fee, and complete the application form.
- Your application will be reviewed, and a mentor assigned to you. An acceptance letter will be sent with the registration link and training details.